- Get up to $90 cash back per person when you book with us
- A bareboat catamaran hire for your chosen duration (minimum hire periods apply)
- No set itinerary with you as the crew, so you can explore the Great Sandy Strait, K'Gari (Fraser Island), & Hervey Bay however you like
- Choose from various anchorage points around the Great Sandy Strait
- A choice of vessels with different passenger capacities
- A 4 hr safety & operation briefing from a fully qualified commercial skipper
- Departs from the meeting point at Great Sandy Straits Marina Terminal, Shop 6/17 Buccaneer Dr, Urangan
- Prices are per night and vary depending on length of hire and season for the whole vessel
- Gas & fuel costs, which are between $20-$30 per engine hour, calculated upon your return
- Food & drinks
What to Expect
Hire a yacht and explore the waters of Hervey Bay and K'gari (Fraser Island) in comfort.
The Fraser Coast region has incredible sailing conditions thanks to ideal weather conditions, calm waters and a diverse range of anchorages with lots to explore. It's also home to the world's first Whale Heritage Site (Hervey Bay).
Hiring a bareboat sailing catamaran will give you an intimate and exclusive opportunity to sail these waters in style and at your own pace. The sailing area stretches south to Inskip Point and north to Rooney Point on Fraser Island.
Not sure what bareboating is? Bareboat charters simply refer to the hire of a boat or vessel without a skipper on board. This means you can explore Fraser Island and its hidden gems with a self-drive sailing holiday with no set itineraries. During a bareboat charter, you will act as the boat crew for the duration of the trip.
Although you'll be crew, you don't need to be a qualified skipper or have any boat qualifications. Don't be afraid if you have no experience; you'll be provided with a briefing from a fully qualified commercial skipper to make sure you know the ins and outs of the vessel and how to navigate the beautiful waters before you set sail. The skipper will drive the vessel out of the marina for you, where you will then be free to spend a holiday on the water in style!
Choose your duration, and then choose your vessel, depending on how many guests you've got. Minimum hire periods do apply, with a minimum of five nights during peak season (June – November and school holidays) or three nights during regular times (Dec-June).
Anchorage points in the sailing area include Rooney Point, Wathumba Creek, Arch Cliff, Moon Point, Scarness, Big Woody Island, Kingfisher Bay, Ungowa Creek, and Gary's Anchorage. Each is beautiful and offers a range of activities such as fishing, swimming, and catching incredible sunsets. During migration season, you might even be lucky enough to spot passing humpback whales!
Your hire includes all onboard amenities including equipped kitchens and linen. All you need to do is bring your food and drinks, plus any recreational gear such as fishing equipment, snorkels, or beach sports. The only additional fees you need to pay are for consumables such as gas & fuel costs, which are between $20-$30 per engine hour, calculated upon your return.
Indigo is a Seawind 1000 yacht and the perfect entry-level boat for your next sailing adventure, sleeping between 6 to 8 people across four cabins.
The vessel features two showers, a tender for any beach stopovers, a fully equipped kitchen, BBQ and all the safety equipment you could possibly need. Other features include all bedding, kitchen supplies, fridge, freezer, stovetop and oven.
This 10-metre sailing vessel is easy to manoeuvre and makes travelling around the waters of the Great Sandy Strait and alongside Fraser Island simple and enjoyable. Bring the family or your mates for one hell of a water-based adventure!
K'gari Breeze is a Seawind 1200, a luxury sailing catamaran with enough room for everyone. Cruise around the beautifully calm waters surrounding Fraser Island and throughout the Great Sandy Straits with all the space and gear you could possibly need.
With four double cabins, you can bring the whole family or a group of your best mates on the adventure and still have plenty of room to spare. So sit back and relax with a glass of bubbles in hand as you sail calm waters with a stellar view of the world's largest sand island.
Other features include a fridge, freezer, stovetop, oven, all necessary kitchen appliances and utensils, all bedding, a motorised tender, VHF radio, AM/FM stereo, BBQ and more.
Say hello to the newest and largest yacht in the fleet – Coralita. If you are after the ultimate in comfort and space, this is the one for you.
Coralita boasts four double cabins with air conditioning, two single cabins and four bathrooms. The generous outdoor space and sleeping arrangements make Coralita excellent for groups or large families.
The best feature of this beauty is the walkthrough straight from the back deck, into the saloon and out onto the front deck.
Where we Visit:
- Great Sandy Strait
- Hervey Bay
- K'Gari (Fraser Island)
- Anchorage points such as:
- Rooney Point
- Wathumba Creek
- Arch Cliff
- Moon Point
- Big Woody Island
- Kingfisher Bay
- Ungowa Creek
- Gary's Anchorage
Frequently Asked Questions
During the peak season (June – November and school holidays), the minimum is 5 nights hire and during regular times (Dec-June), the minimum is 3 nights.
No, not at all! But don’t be worried if you aren’t experienced; you’ll receive a 4-hour full briefing from a commercially qualified skipper prior to your departure. The skipper will also ensure the yacht the driven in and out of the harbour for you.
They most certainly are! There’s no better way to get the kids away from those screens and out into nature than being on the water.
You can go north as far as Rooney’s Point on Fraser Island and go south through the straits as far as Inskip Point.
Yes! There are hot showers available on all the sailing vessels.
Yes! All yachts in the fleet feature a full kitted out kitchen inside with an oven, stove and fully stocked cutlery and cooking utensils, as well as a BBQ on the back deck.
Of course. There are motorised tenders available at your leisure with all of the bareboat hires to help you explore our amazing backyard.
Absolutely. Once you are out on the water during your charter, the Operations Manager will be in regular contact with you and offer you advice on where is best to anchor in the current weather conditions. If you ever have any issues, the team are just a phone call or text message away.
Once you've confirmed a booking, the team will send you a host of information so you can be across everything before you start your charter.
On the day of your arrival, they'll meet you at the Great Sandy Straits Marina at 3:00 pm (unless another time is organised).
From there, they will let you stock the boat and go into a very detailed (up to 4 hours) briefing to ensure you are fully equipped with the tools and knowledge to sail (or motor, up to you) around Fraser Island and the Great Sandy Straits including how to fully run the boat, information on the area and what to look out for.
Following the briefing, and once the commercial skipper knows that everyone is comfortable, they will drive the yacht out of the marina for you and then jump off and let you sail into the sunset!
Throughout the duration of the trip, the team will remain in close contact to make sure all is okay and then will meet you just outside the marina entrance at the end of your trip to drive the yacht back into the marina for you.
While some anchorages throughout the straits may lack phone reception, 90% of the anchorage areas have great reception. The vessel Indigo also features Wi-Fi onboard for those that need to stay connected.
There are many excellent swimming and snorkelling spots to make the most of on your bareboating trips, including along the coast of Fraser Island near Kingfisher Bay, surrounding Pelican Bank and a number of Fraser Island creeks. However, please be aware that during the height of summer, there have been minimal cases of Irikanjdi, so we suggest taking caution at this time.
One of the best things about winter is our whales! Hervey Bay is known as the best whale watching spot in Australia (if not the world), and for good reason. Thanks to the protection from Fraser Island, the bay's calm waters are known as the humpbacks' chosen rest stop along their migration route. During the months of July – November, whales will spend extended time relaxing and playing in our waters, and towards the end of the season, mothers will teach their calves how to behave. There are no restrictions on where you can travel throughout this time; however, there are strict guidelines to follow in the event you encounter whales on your boating journey. These restrictions include distances between the vessel and any marine life and how you interact with these marine mammals.
There is 240V power onboard for most appliances (leave those hair straighteners and dryers at home, though!), and batteries are charged by solar and a wind generator. The team strongly encourage all charterers to be aware of conserving power and energy while onboard so that together you can limit our impact on the local environment.
The charter yachts have plenty of water on board; however, given bareboat charters go out for an extended time, it is best to follow general water restrictions and keep showers to 2 – 3 minutes to make sure this lasts for the duration of your trip. Click here for some water-saving tips from the Fraser Coast Regional Council.
You're more than welcome to experience the world-class fishing of the Fraser Coast while on charters; however, you would need BYO fishing gear.
Hervey Bay is a great place to stock up with many shops and facilities near the Great Sandy Straits Marina. Some options include Woolworths, Coles, corner stores and Dan Murphy's for those drinks. There are also many outlets within the Marina, including a pharmacy and coffee shops.
- The vessel will be prepared full of water, gas, fuels for engines and tender, linen and other consumables. The use of fuels and consumables will be covered by a boat operation fee based on engine hours of $20-$30/engine hour
- The Charterer warrants that he or the nominated Skipper is a competent person in the handling and operations of the type of boat chartered
- The Charterer shall restrict the cruising of the Boat from 0700 to 1600 hours unless authorised by the Operator
- The Charterer shall limit his cruising perimeter to the area and limitations clearly defined and specified by the Operator
- Pets shall not be taken on the boat. Children must be under the control of a responsible adult
- If upon completion of the charter, the Charterer has not left the Boat and tender in clean and tidy condition (including the removal of all garbage, refitting of covers and returning all equipment to its original location) then the Charterer shall pay for the extra costs of cleaning the Boat charged at $55 per hr
The Charterer shall pay:
- A deposit on or before confirming this agreement
- The balance of the charter fee at least ninety days prior to the commencement of the charter period
- Provide credit card details as a security/bond and to cover engine hours/fuels costs prior to departure
- In the event the Charterer cancels this agreement by notice more than ninety days prior to the commencement of the charter period, the deposit will be refunded in full less a service fee of $110.00
- If less than ninety days of notice of cancellation is given the full charter fee shall remain due and payable and will not be waived or refunded unless the Operator is able to obtain an alternative booking for the same charter period. Please see below for COVID-19 specific terms
- If there are no deductions from the bond, no charges shall be taken from the specified card except relevant fuel charges
- In the event of any deductions from the bond for insurance excess or consequential credit card or banking charges, fuel costs if applicable, demurrage, repair of any damage or loss of equipment, or any accident, breakdown, recall or repossession of the Boat, the balance will be posted to the Charterer as soon as is reasonably practicable once the deduction can be calculated by the Operator
- If a charterer needs to cancel their trip due to government-mandated travel restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Operator will offer a full credit to be used anytime within the next 18 months depending on vessel availability
Reviews for K'Gari (Fraser Island) Bareboat Hire
Get Instant Confirmation