- Transfer from your hotel in Sofia to Malyovitsa Resort and back
- English-speaking guide (for the guided hiking option)
- Detailed route notes in English and maps (for the self-guided hiking option; 1 set of route notes and 1 map per reservation)
One-Day Hiking Tour From Sofia To The Scary Lake
Escape the crowds on the most popular trails of Rila and dip into a real mountain adventure!
Buy as a Gift
WHAT TO EXPECT
Escape the crowds on the most popular trails of Rila (to The Seven Rila Lakes and Mt. Musala) and dip into a real mountain adventure, providing equally, if not exceeding, stunning scenery but most of all – calmness.
The tour offers two options to choose from, both starting from the same place (Malyovitsa resort):
1) Circular trek to the Scary Lake and Yonchevo Lake (the easier option)
2) Climb to Mt. Malyovitsa – 2729m (and back on the same route).
Difficulty: both walking routes are arduous and meant to fit people. 1/3 of the time you will walk over rocky terrain (no climbing abilities required). Steep stages occur now and then. Please bring along comfortable hiking boots. Sandals and flip-flops are not accepted. Rain jacket might be useful in summer as heavy showers sometimes occur in the afternoons.
The tour is offered as guided (small group) or self-guided.
Food: basic food is required inside the Malyovitsa Hut and also at Malyovitsa Resort; however, due to time restrictions, you’d a better plan for a sandwich, prepared at home (time permitting you can stop for a tea in the hut).
Total transfer time: 3-3,15hrs
Walking time: 5,30-6hrs
Best period: mid-June – mid-September (could be done also in October and weather permitting – in November too)
A transfer from Sofia takes us to Malyovitsa Resort, where is the trailhead for the two options.
1) Circular trek to the Scary lake and Yonchevo Lake (5-6hrs hiking time only; 11,70km; +970m; -970m)
Tracing the beautiful Malyovitsa Valley, we soon reach Malyovitsa hut. This is where we start the real climb, passing a few cirques until you reach the famous Scary Lake (at 2465m). Fenced by majestic towers, it derives its name from the dreadful sounds during thunderstorms, amplified by the amphitheatrical surroundings. No need to worry though – in recent days there is a small refuge at the banks of the lake, which can accommodate every person in need of shelter. From there the tour starts descending towards the calm waters of the Yonchevo Lake. The trail proceeds all the way further down to the Malyovitsa resort.
2) Climb Mt. Malyovitsa, 2729m (and walk back along the same route); (5,30hrs hiking time only; 13,88km; +1130m; -1130m)
Another classic trail, following the valley of Malyovitsa River but taking you further up, where the peaks hit the clouds. The area is known as The Cradle of Bulgarian alpinism” – literally every climber has started climbing the rocky faces of the Malyovitsa summit. No climbing techniques are required for our tour though, as you follow a hiker’s trail leading all the way to the top. And the scenery, which expects you there, over the whole Rila Mountains, is something you will definitely remember.
One-Day Hiking Tour From Sofia To The Scary Lake
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
- Traventuria Ltd. shall not be held liable in cases of “force majeure” circumstances, herewith described as events which we or our subcontractors cannot predict or avoid, such as terrorist activity, strike, war or threat of war, riot, civil strike, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, fire, road accidents, traffic jams, vehicle breakdown, etc. Traventuria Ltd. will act and do whatever is possible to the best of its abilities in order to minimize the impact on the clients’ journey in such cases.
- Claims for missed flights, only partially or totally unused other services as a result of such circumstances will not be acknowledged in such cases.
- All cancellations should be made in writing to Traventuria Ltd. on our corporate email: email@example.com
- Cancellations advised verbally to a company staff (i.e. drivers, tour guides, resort representatives) or in writing to other email addresses will not be considered as valid
- The following cancellation charges (as a percentage of the total cost, but not less than the deposit) apply for cancellations made by clients for services in Bulgaria, booked through Traventuria Ltd.:
- 30 days – 30%
- 29 – 15 days – 50%
- 14 – 9 days – 70%
- 8 days or less – 100%
- The following cancellation charges (as a percentage of the total cost, but not less than the deposit) apply for cancellations made by clients for services outside Bulgaria, booked through Traventuria Ltd.:
- 41 days – 30%
- 40 days or less – 100%
- For bookings, where a flight ticket is included, the clients should pay the charges levied by the airline concerned
- If a ground service provided by Traventuria Ltd. is omitted by a client (e.g. transfer, tour, etc.) due to last-minute illness, flight cancellation, etc. this is considered “no-show” and no refund will be made
- The same rule applies if a client decides to leave the holiday before its end. We will issue all the required documents, verifying the cancellation, which you can use for your insurance company