- Transfer from your hotel in Sofia to Vitosha Mountains and back
- English-speaking guide (for the guided hiking option)
- Detailed route notes in English and maps (for the self-guided hiking option; 1 set of route notes and 1 map per vehicle)
One-day Hiking Tour From Sofia To Vitosha MountainsWalk through the most scenic area on Mount Vitosha and climb the highest peak!
What to Expect
Mount Vitosha is one of the most adored and visited mountains in Bulgaria. It is the first officially declared Nature Park on the Balkans to protect alpine meadows, century-old forests and peat bogs. The dome-shaped mountain is crisscrossed by many walking trails, but the most scenic area is the Plateau and the highest peak named Cherni Vrah (2290m/7625ft.)
Difficulty: this walking route is moderately arduous, without steep paths. Please bring along comfortable hiking boots. Sandals and flip-flops are not accepted. Rain jacket might be useful in summer as heavy showers sometimes occur in the afternoons.
The tour is offered as guided (small group) or self-guided
Food: basic food is available in the eatery at Cherni Vrah station (i.e. beans soup, meatballs, French fries, tea, pancakes), but if you come prepared with a sandwich or two you can stop at any place to enjoy our food.
Hiking time: hiking time only is mentioned on each day (not including stops for pictures, picnics, breaks etc.!); these are based on an average hiker’s speed of 4-5km/hr on flat terrain, additional 30min for each 300m elevation gain, and a backpack weighing not more than 10-15% of your body weight. Still, this varies a lot on the terrain, the group size and the hiking experience of each client within the group.
Total transfer time: 2 hours
Walking time: 3,30-4 hrs (hiking time only; moderate difficulty; no steep parts)
Best period: June – October (possible also in May and November; options for snowshoeing treks in Vitosha during winter – contact us for details)
Circular trek, starting from Aleko hut, climbing Cherni Vrah (2290m) and descending along a different route back to Aleko hut. (3,30-4hrs hiking time only; 12km; +550m; -550m)
Explore one of the classic trails on Vitosha, starting from Aleko hut, climbing to Cherni Vrah peak and descending along a different path under the rock of Malak Rezen peak. You will cross typical for the mountain stone rivers, make your way close to the Peat Reserve and ascend to the highest peak. Throughout the way, your companions will be high mountain birds and their melodic songs. The alpine zone is home of the elusive Balkan Chamois (Wild Mountain Goat) and herds of Roe Deers. Along the way, you will have a chance to admire and photograph rare and beautiful flowers as the Vitosha Tulip and various orchids. The descending walk is equally astonishing with panoramic views of Vitosha’s dense forests, Sofia city and the Balkan Mountains outlining the horizon.
- Traventuria Ltd. shall not be held liable in cases of “force majeure” circumstances, herewith described as events which we or our subcontractors cannot predict or avoid, such as terrorist activity, strike, war or threat of war, riot, civil strike, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, fire, road accidents, traffic jams, vehicle breakdown, etc. Traventuria Ltd. will act and do whatever is possible to the best of its abilities in order to minimize the impact on the clients’ journey in such cases.
- Claims for missed flights, only partially or totally unused other services as a result of such circumstances will not be acknowledged in such cases.
- All cancellations should be made in writing to Traventuria Ltd. on our corporate email: email@example.com
- Cancellations advised verbally to a company staff (i.e. drivers, tour guides, resort representatives) or in writing to other email addresses will not be considered as valid
- The following cancellation charges (as a percentage of the total cost, but not less than the deposit) apply for cancellations made by clients for services in Bulgaria, booked through Traventuria Ltd.:
- 30 days – 30%
- 29 – 15 days – 50%
- 14 – 9 days – 70%
- 8 days or less – 100%
- The following cancellation charges (as a percentage of the total cost, but not less than the deposit) apply for cancellations made by clients for services outside Bulgaria, booked through Traventuria Ltd.:
- 41 days – 30%
- 40 days or less – 100%.
- For bookings, where a flight ticket is included, the clients should pay the charges levied by the airline concerned
- If a ground service provided by Traventuria Ltd. is omitted by a client (e.g. transfer, tour, etc.) due to last-minute illness, flight cancellation, etc. this is considered “no-show” and no refund will be made
- The same rule applies if a client decides to leave the holiday before its end. We will issue all the required documents, verifying the cancellation, which you can use for your insurance company
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely