- Spot Great White sharks!
- Enjoy a 4 day tour offering surface cage and ocean floor cage diving
- Includes Australian sea lion swim
- Neptune Island tour
- Shark research talk
- Lodging in the vessel
4 Day, 3 Night Great White Shark Cage Diving Expedition
Spot Great Whites off the coast of Port Lincoln!
WHAT TO EXPECT
This Great White expedition provides 3 days of diving and 3 nights onboard the Rodney Fox. This is the perfect trip for anyone who has ever wanted to jump into the cage and experience the thrill of seeing Great White sharks up close. Even watching them from the boat is amazing! It is an expedition for all ages, although it's recommended that children are at least 8 years old, and able to cope in an adult environment.
The tour will meet you at the Marina Hotel, Port Lincoln at 7:45 PM and escort you to the MV Rodney Fox. Welcome aboard at 8:00 PM. You’ll be shown to your cabins where you can unload before the formal introductions and safety talk. Bedtime is up to you, but it’s anchors away at 4:00 AM. (Not that you have to get up then!)
It’s worth getting up at daybreak for the journey down to the Neptune Islands. The scenery is spectacular! You'll pass through the stunning Thorny Passage and stop by the Hopkins Islands for an hour to snorkel with Australian Sea Lions. The vessel anchors at the Neptune Islands, where you’ll no doubt spot a few dorsal fins. Divers are briefed, and the cages hit the water, ready for action! At the end of the day, relax, unwind, or talk about your adventures while feasting on the buffet. You can also check out the amazing night-sky or retire to your cabin.
Diving resumes in the Surface Cage and the Ocean Floor Cage. You can also hop in the tender boat to check out New Zealand Fur Seals or walk around the Neptune Islands. The Rodney Fox Shark Presentation in the evening will share more information about these wonderful animals.
You'll have more time to spend Surface and Ocean Floor diving – there is no time limit in the cages, as long as everyone has their fair share. You can also do shark and wildlife watching from the observation deck, relax with a book – anything that floats your boat. The tour leaves the Neptune Islands by 3:00 PM and enjoys local South Australian wine on the bow usually with dolphins joining for company. You'll arrive back in Port Lincoln by 8.00 PM to disembark.
4 Day, 3 Night Great White Shark Cage Diving Expedition
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
What is the best time of year to see sharks?
The Neptune Islands are a unique and reliable location for great white shark diving throughout any month of the year. The ‘best times’ are decided from a whole combination of factors including current trends of shark reliability, shark numbers, average shark size, potential productive weather, water temperature, and water visibility.
How does the tour attract Great White sharks?
To attract sharks, they use a natural tuna fish mix. Although the Neptune Islands are a natural feeding ground for great white sharks, we have found that a form of shark attractant is still required. Over its 50 year history, the tour tried many things and the natural tuna scent is what provides the best results. All interaction with the sharks is carried out by a trained crew and a strict code of conduct.
What's my chance of seeing a Great White shark?
The Neptune Islands are home to thousands of long-nose fur seals, which provide a significant natural feeding source for great white sharks making this location a reliable year-round destination to view great white sharks. It’s unreasonable to expect great white sharks to always appear as soon as the tour drops anchor (though this does sometimes happen) and there is different weather and shark seasons throughout the year.
To better ensure reliable viewing, the tour offers different itineraries for different seasons of the year. This multi-day overnight tour uses both ocean floor and surface cage dives, giving expedition members superior diving advantages including the highest success in seeing great white sharks and in achieving quality images and video. Enjoy the entire expedition with sunrises and sunsets, as time is spent actually out on location with no wearying daily transfers. In addition to this, while onboard the industry's largest vessel, they carry a maximum of just 12 guests, allowing plenty of un-rushed and un-crowded cage time for everyone.
Do I need to bring my own diving equipment?
You are very welcome to bring your own diving equipment but all diving needs for diving with the great whites can be hired onboard the vessel. This can be ordered at the time of booking.
What should I bring?
For a Great White Night Expedition, this is your checklist:
- Warm clothing – Fox Expedition clothing available for purchase on board
- Comfortable flat shoes
- Dive certification card (divers must show qualification to participate in the ocean floor cage dive)
- Dive gear – can be hired onboard, see website for more info
- BCD if wanting to dive/not snorkel with Australian Sea lions -some BCD’s available for hire – please check for availability and sizing
- Sunglasses – polarized recommended
- Batteries – for cameras
- Sunscreen and hats (Rodney Fox hats are available for sale)
- Personal medical and toiletries
- Seasickness tablets
What you do not need to bring:
- Towels for personal use and diving
- Please do not bring any alcoholic beverages onboard as they have a 'Ship's Bar Only' policy.
- Food/snacks - Meals and some snacks are provided, other snacks and soft drinks are available for purchase
- SCUBA tanks, fins or weight belts
I can't dive, can I still join the tour?
Absolutely! There is no diving experience required for surface cage diving or viewing the sharks topside from the boat. There are have qualified dive professionals onboard who look after all our new surface cage diving guests. Dive crew will ensure you are briefed and comfortable before getting in the cage. Plus, with small guest numbers, there is no pre-determined time that you must get in the cage. Guests can relax, watch the sharks from the surface, and then when YOU are ready, get in the water. Surface cage time is unlimited and we look for all guests on board to get fair and equal shark time.
- Itinerary is indicative only (subject to weather and any other circumstances that may affect the scheduling of events).
- All accommodation is onboard the Rodney Fox Expedition vessel.
- Only qualified SCUBA divers will be permitted to dive in the Ocean Floor Cage. Qualified SCUBA divers are required to show their dive certification, this must be presented before any diving commences.
- The itinerary is indicative only (subject to weather and any other circumstances that may affect the scheduling of events).
- Fully understand that great white sharks are wild animals and their presence cannot be guaranteed. No refund for no or limited shark activity. In the unusual event of no sharks, there will be the offer of a return trip with a credit of 50% of the amount paid. In the unlikely event of 2 no shark activity trips, a credit of money paid for the 2 previous trips will apply to a 3rd trip.
- Purchase Travel Insurance Or Accept Financial Risk. Understand unforeseen work, medical or airline problems may cause me to cancel a trip. Compensation for trip cancellation or lost/damaged bags and/or equipment due to any reason must be claimed against travel insurance.
- Weather problems may cause the itinerary to be changed or cancelled. No compensation is offered to change flights or holiday plans.
- No refund is offered for time lost due to the medical evacuation of a passenger or crew, or reduction of dives due to bad weather.
- Refunds: No refund is made for any unused part of the itinerary, e.g. due to unforeseen mechanical breakdown of the vessel, medical reasons affecting yourself, other passengers or crew, adverse weather conditions or other maritime and fundamental safety considerations. Travel Insurance must be purchased or accept liability and risk.
- No refund is given for no or limited shark activity.
- Greater than 90 days - $250 cancellation fee per person.
- Less than 90 days, forfeit 30% of trip fee per person.
- Less than 60 days, forfeit 50% of trip fee per person.
- Less than 30 days, forfeit 100% of trip fee per person.
- If a cancellation is required then we will endeavour to sell the position/s and credit the amount received less $250 admin fee. Please note that there is no guarantee that the position/s will be sold.