- Get a lesson in real Japanese paper-making from raw materials
- Enjoy the rich natural surroundings of Nishitama
- Get lead by an experienced instructor
- Make a stylish lampshade with towel washi paper
- Create a washi candle by combining the lampshade with a small LED lamp
- Take home your candle as a souvenir
What to Expect
Kamisuki-style washi making is a Japanese traditional craft that is certified as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage. There are a number of places in Japan where you can make a simple washi, yet the experience offered here is quite unique and distinct as you can start from making raw materials for paper. This experience is also unique because it allows you to immerse yourself in the rich forest of Nishitama, Tokyo, while smelling the aroma of plants and feeling the refreshing breeze.
To make your paper, you will start by battering a Kozo branch whose skin is already peeled and then soaked in water into fibres. This first phase of making fibres is pretty important in the whole process of making the craftwork on the day. Moreover, you will feel the connection between the regional resources and the washi making, through loosening the fibres in the water beside the well in front of our atelier.
Next, you will pour the washi fibre onto the towel, wring water out of the towel, and let the washi paper dry. The surface of the washi will get traces of pile fabric and gain an original texture with a warm feeling. You can take the washi home and create your original craftwork.
Then, you will create a unique candle using the towel washi. Not an actual candle flame but a small LED lamp will be used. Make a stylish lampshade with the towel washi, place it around an LED lamp, and your washi candle whose light flickers like a candle flame will be complete.
Of course, you can take home your original craftwork. Please enjoy the original experience of a traditional craft with a modern touch right here. After the experience, we recommend you visit Tsuru-tsuru Onsen near the spot and have udon at Shogo-tei.
- Making raw materials for the paper
- Making washi paper with a towel
- Making a LED candle using towel washi paper
Hinode Washi Area
- One Day Course: Hinode Washi→Hinode-sanso→Bukeyashiki (Ninja Experience?Princess Experience)
- Half-Day Course A: Hinode Washi→Hinode-sanso
- Half-Day Course B: Hinode Washi→Bukeyashiki (Ninja Experience, Princess Experience)
Recommended nearby spots
- Tsuru-Tsuru Onsen
Frequently Asked Questions
- Meeting Point: (Come early too) Musashi-Itsukaichi Station or (Tell the taxi driver to) 6436 Oguno, Hinode-machi, Nishitama-gun, Tokyo
- ACCESS: It takes an hour from Shinjuku Station (without changing trains). We will pick up the first seven people at Musashi-Itsukaichi Station. For anyone came after the seventh, please take a taxi.
- Access by train
- Shinjuku ?JR Chuo Line 25 min. ?
- Tachikawa Station (JR Ome Line 15 min.)
- Haijima Station ?JR Itsukaichi Line 20 min.?
- Musashi-Itsukaichi Station - Taxi?10 mins. One-way 1500 yen?
- On weekends and holidays, it is convenient to take Holiday Rapid service train (normal fare) from Shinjuku direct to Musashi-Itsukaichi (Approx. 1 hour) without having to transfer. Holiday Rapid train for
- Musashi-Itsukaichi is coupled with one bound for Ome. So when you take the train, please make sure the vehicle you get in is bound for Musashi-Itsukaichi.
- Access by car - 15 min. from Hinode Interchange of the Ken-o Expressway. The eastbound lanes of the connecting Chuo Expressway are heavily congested on weekends and holidays. So please leave time to spare and come safely.
- Access by train
- Our Advertised Price and Net Rate DO NOT include the Japanese Consumption Tax.
From 1 to 9 persons
From the day when the reservation is made up to 8 days before the tour date 30 % of the tour price
- 7 to 4 days before the tour date 50% of the tour price
- 3 days before the tour date up to the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
10 and more persons
- From the day when the reservation is made up to 8 days before the tour date 30 % of the tour price
- 7 days before the tour date up to the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
The cancellation fee includes handling charges.
Reviews for Create a Washi LED Candle in Tokyo's Countryside
Get Instant Confirmation