- Cruise across beautiful Lake Manapouri
- Coach over Wilmot Pass
- 3 hours of kayaking
- Beautiful mountain and waterfall views
- Small groups – maximum of 8 people per guide
- Experienced kayak guides
- High-quality kayaking gear
- Safety and emergency equipment
Kayak Doubtful Sound from Manapouri
Experience the wonder of New Zealand's famous Fiordland on this kayak adventure!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Doubtful Sound is New Zealand's second-most-famous tourist destination, located in the south-west of the country. This full-day kayaking tour will give you a taste of why this fiord is so popular amongst visitors and locals alike.
You will get to spend the day paddling past mountains and waterfalls with the assistance of a helpful kayaking guide. Be sure to bring your waterproof camera, as you may also spot wildlife along the way including whales, dolphins, seals or penguins!
Tours depart from Manapouri at 6:55 am. They depart daily between 1 Oct - 30 April.
If you're departing from Manapouri, you will meet your kayaking group at Manapouri Visitor Centre. Then, it's time for a one-hour cruise from Lake Manapouri to West Arm. Head to Manapouri Power Station, where you will board a bus over the Wilmot Pass. After a 45-minute ride, arrive at Doubtful Sound where you will begin your kayaking session.
Receive an in-depth safety briefing from your guide before getting kitted out in all your necessary kayaking gear including wetsuits and lifejackets. Then, it's time to hit the water!
You will spend three hours paddling through the fiord, enjoying panoramic views of the beautiful scenery which includes several small coves and islands. Hand off all your gear and prepare for the bus ride and cruise back to Manapouri Visitor Centre, where your journey will end.
What should I bring?
- Swimsuit – to wear under your given equipment
- Soft Shoes or sandals – please note they will get wet
- Warm Socks & layered clothing
- Sunblock, sunglasses, hat to protect your head
- Camera – don’t forget this, GoPro’s and selfie sticks also welcome.
- Water & picnic lunch if you're not buying one
Do I need experience?
No previous experience is required to kayak. However, you must be water confident and a moderate fitness level is required. You will be kayaking for at least 4 hours.
What is the difference between Milford and Doubtful Sound?
You will find both Milford and Doubtful Sound deep down in the South Island of New Zealand in the Fiordland National Park.
Milford Sound is around 13kms long and famous for its dramatic mountain peaks waterfalls. Home to Mitre Peak, it’s easy to see why people flock here.
Doubtful Sound is three times longer than Milford Sound, home to three arms named Hall, Crooked and First arm. Commonly known as the sound of silence and famous for Wildlife sightings, Doubtful is a real adventure experience.
- Sea kayaking has inherent risks and can be dangerous. The supplier accepts its legal responsibilities but cannot be held responsible for personal injury or for loss, theft or damage of/to your equipment outside legal responsibilities.
- Participants will be required to sign a liability form to this effect before starting a tour.
- Transfers: Reservations can be transferred to another date (subject to availability) up to 24 hours prior to departure with no transfer fee incurred.
- Cancellations: Cancellations must be received 24 hours prior to trip departure. Trips are non-refundable after this point.
- We reserve the right to cancel trips or substitute another river or section of river for safety reasons.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews