- Walk on New Zealand’s biggest glacier!
- Experience the thrill of a scenic helicopter ride over New Zealand’s largest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook
- A knowledgable guide
- All equipment: leather boots, socks, crampons, walking poles, waterproof jacket, overtrousers
Tasman Glacier Heli Hike From Mount Cook
Soar over Mount Cook National Park and walk on a glacier!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Combine the excitement of walking on New Zealand’s biggest glacier with the thrill of breathtaking scenic helicopter fly-bys of New Zealand’s largest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook. You will fly to a drop off point on a remote part of the glacier.
In summer, a guide will outfit you with special ice spikes for your feet, called crampons, designed for hard ice glacier conditions. During the winter months, you will be able to use crampons, try snowshoeing or a combination of both.
Once your crampons or snowshoes are fitted you’ll go exploring the amazing ice formations, following a guide as they cut steps in the glacier, using skills handed down from NZ’s mountain pioneers. Your trip finishes with another spectacular scenic flight back to our Aoraki/Mt. Cook base.
As the glacier is changing all the time the tour's experienced guides are always finding something new and interesting to show our visitors. Time on the ice is up to 2 hours, weather permitting. A minimum of 3 people is required for a trip to depart (if you have less than 3 people in your group, the tour will do its best to put you on a trip with other people).
- Please ensure that you allow sufficient time to travel to our base at the Aoraki/Mt Cook Airport, Mt Cook Road, State Highway 80 safely. There are strict fly times and the tour can't delay a trip departure if you are running late.
What do I bring?
- Any essential medication
- 3-4 layers of warm upper body clothing
- Warm trousers (no jeans)
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- A daypack, a drink and snacks are useful
- A warm hat and gloves
- A camera
- Child rates apply for 9 to 16 years of age
- This is a natural and ever-changing environment. Ice features change constantly and no guarantee can be given that specific features will be seen
- This is a weather dependent trip
- Minimum of 3 people required (if you have less than 3 people in your group, the tour will do its best to put you on a trip with other people). The maximum guide to customer ratio is 1:11
No cancellation fee payable if:
- You cancel your booking at least 24 hours before the reporting time for your trip or the tour cancels for any reason before the trip has commenced
Cancellation fee of 100% of the cost of the trip is payable if:
- You cancel your booking less than 24 hours before the reporting time for your trip or you do not show up at the reporting time for the trip