- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- A self-guided full-day winery cycling tour with standard or e-bike hire
- All gear, including helmet, lock, pannier bag, & map
- Shuttle transfers to & from the start & end of the cycle trail
- Departs from the meeting point at 9 Nelson Quay, Ahuriri, Napier
- Shuttle transfers from your accommodation to Ahuriri
- Wine tasting fees
What to Expect
Take a scenic cycle through some of the Hawke's Bay region's favourite wineries on this popular self-guided cycling tour.
You can either meet the staff at the shop in Ahuriri, or they can pick you up from your accommodation (additional fee). They will then transfer you to the start of your adventure at the Black Barn winery.
This journey will take you on a 16-kilometre route on the limestone cycle trail following the Tuki Tuki River to the coastal communities of Haumoana and Te Awanga. The views are stunning as you cycle the raised stop-bank trail and look out over orchards, vineyards and farmlands.
Pop into any of the wineries for a wine tasting and sample some delicious drops. Vineyards along this Hawke's Bay cycle trail include Black Barn, Te Mata Estate, Akarangi Wines, Elephant Hill, Clearview Estate, and Te Awanga. You can also take an optional detour to Craggy Range along a new bike path – approximately 4km there and back.
While you don't need to book wine tastings, it is recommended if you're travelling in a large group. Additionally, if a winery lunch (own expense) is on your wish list, it's recommended you book in this advance (and is essential on Saturdays or public holidays).
Lunch recommendations include Clearview Estate, which has Mediterranean-style food with table service (bookings essential) or Te Awanga, which offers the best pizzas in Hawke's Bay, and you can sit outside on their green lawn. Elephant Hill is also excellent and has amazing platters to enjoy on their scenic terrace.
At the end of the day, you will be collected and transferred back to Ahuriri or your accommodation if required.
Where we Visit:
- Stop at any of the following wineries:
- Black Barn
- Te Mata Estate
- Akarangi Wines
- Elephant Hill
- Clearview Estate
- Te Awanga
- Craggy Range
Frequently Asked Questions
You are the leader. The staff provide all the information (maps and riding instructions) you need, but you’re in charge! Self-guided tours offer flexibility but with the reassurance of support, just a phone call away.
There is FREE parking in Ahuriri and plenty of it.
The trails are flat and easy!
If you are on a multiday tour to get maximum enjoyment from your cycling experience, you should have a moderate fitness level. Cycling times range from two to six hours, with options available for those who want more or less time on the bike.
The Operator provides you with detailed daily instructions for your cycling trail as well as local maps. These will be printed so you can carry them with you as well as on Google Maps which they will provide a link for.
Sunblock, cell phone for emergencies, rain jacket, swimming togs (if you want to take a dip in one of the rivers en route), plenty of water and your wallet (for those bottles of wine!) should be all you need.
Bike panniers are available for those who would like them fitted to their bike. Panniers are generally large enough for a couple’s daily requirements, but some people may prefer to use their own day pack.
There are many options for lunches along the trails, and this is something that cyclists love to explore. The various cafes and wineries offer everything from platters to full restaurants suiting every budget. Let the staff know if you would like them to book a restaurant for your lunch stop.
Hawke’s Bay is home to many outstanding and popular restaurants. A full list of ‘dining out’ recommendations will be provided to you.
The Operator offers a free mechanical backup service and will provide you with a local phone number to call if you break down. Depending on where you are, some wait time is to be expected. In the event of a puncture, full puncture repair kits are provided. Repairing the puncture yourself is often your quickest and easiest option; however, they are happy to help if that is your preference.
- The minimum age to taste wine is 18 years
- The customer agrees to:
- the care and safekeeping of all equipment hired from The Operator for the duration of the hire. If damage is deemed to be beyond general wear and tear and more customer neglect, you will be contacted and invoiced to cover the cost to return the bike and all extra equipment to the order in which you initially received it
- accept full responsibility for personal medical suitability to take part in this cycle tour and have declared any medical information important that is relevant
- adhere to the NZ road code at all times, including ensuring that any under 15 years cyclists follow these rules too
- Please note that e-bikes can not be transported in or on your car. Please talk to The Operator about transport options should they be required
- After booking confirmation is confirmed, if the tour is cancelled 48 hours or less before departure 100% of your tour cost is lost, except in exceptional circumstances (up to the discretion of the tour operator)
- Please talk to The Operator if you think the weather is not looking good; they may be able to offer alternatives however if it's really bad they will refund your payment 100%. The decision will be made on the day of the booking before 9:00 am
Reviews for Cape Coast Winery Ride
Get Instant Confirmation