- See Tane Mahuta (the Lord of the Forest), the largest known kauri tree in the world
- Visit the Hokianga town of Opononi
- Travel the historic old stagecoach route towards Paihia
- Explore the Kawiti Glowworm Caves
Giants & Glow Worms
Explore New Zealand's natural environment and ancient history on this cave and forest tour.
- Lunch or other refreshments (at participants' own expense)
WHAT TO EXPECT
Experience the natural beauty and history of New Zealand's Hokianga region on this full-day guided tour from Paihia. On this tour, you will get the chance to explore an area that was discovered over 1,000 years old and is deeply regarded in Maori culture. Wildlife enthusiasts will love the chance to spot twinkling, luminescent glowworms and witness some of the oldest and largest trees in the world.
This tour will begin at 8 am with a complimentary pickup from your Paihia accommodation. The first stop of the day will be a visit to Tane Mahuta (also called the Lord of the Forest). This ancient kauri tree towers at over 50 metres (160 feet) high and 13 metres wide and is over 2,500 years old. This is an unmissable experience that's sure to leave a lasting memory.
After paying homage to Tane Mahuta, spend some time in the Hokianga town of Opononi, which is known for its timber mills. Then, you will take the old stagecoach trail back towards Paihia. This route was first marked by the Maori people and then frequented by merchants who came to trade kauri, gum and timber in the area.
On the way back to your starting point, you will stop at Kawiti Glowworm Caves for the literal highlight of the day - The chance to see glowworms and sparkling limestone rock formations up close and personal. As you look out for the luminescent worms, also be sure to take note of the naturally occurring stalactites and stalagmites that peek out from the dense green forest that surrounds them.
After your cave tour, you will be dropped off at your Paihia accommodation around 4 pm.
What should I bring?
You should bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, walking shoes, camera and warm clothing.
Is food included in this tour?
You will have the chance to stop for morning and afternoon tea as well as a pub lunch at Opononi Hotel. All food and beverage purchases are at your own expense.
- All bookings not made locally should be reconfirmed either the day before departure or 24 hours prior to departure.
- The supplier reserves the right to cancel departures, arrange alternative transport, itineraries and services when necessary. Departures and itineraries are subject to sea and weather conditions.
- All children must be accompanied by a paying adult. There is no charge for infants under 5 years when not occupying a seat. Infants under 5 years old do not qualify for the free lunch on this tour.
- Cancellations must be received by the supplier no later than 6 pm on the day prior to the tour departure. Passengers who have not cancelled will be considered 'no shows' and no refunds are available.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions