- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- Exhilarating 35-minute white water jet boat ride along the scenic Waikato River, through narrow canyons & river rapids
- Professionally trained driver
- Life jackets & spray coats
- Departs from the meeting point at 3 Nga Awa Purua Road (off Rapids Rd), Rotokawa
Rapids Jet Boat Ride TaupoTake on Taupo's most exciting jet boat ride for some high-speed white-water thrills as you navigate narrow canyons and river rapids.
What to Expect
Experience the thrill of real white water jet boating on an action-packed 35-minute ride that promises an exhilarating amount of spins, squeals and peals of laughter. Get hit with the odd splash of pure Waikato blue along New Zealand's longest river as you chase the rapids through narrow rock chasms. There’s nothing wrong with getting a bit wet when you’re having this much fun!
Get kitted out with life jackets as your skilled driver settles you in and gives a quick intro to the beautiful part of the Waikato River that you’re floating on. Then – hold on tight as you’ll take off for every twist and turn imaginable. Feel the adrenaline rush as you shoot through the narrowest canyon on the mighty river and take in the picturesque surrounds of the Aratiatia Scenic Reserve.
The real thrills begin as we play in the pressure waves of the awesome Nga Awapurua Rapids (river of springs), the biggest commercially jet boated rapids in New Zealand. Our impressive 500 horsepower V8 jet boats will muscle you up and down these exhilarating white water rapids with ease. Laugh with the sheer joy of our legendary 360-degree jet boat spins and perhaps spot a world-famous Taupo trout.
Learn something new along your journey, like how hot the bubbling geothermal water is at the river’s edge, a bit of history about the Aratiatia Dam, or how many world-famous movies have been filmed here (keep your eyes peeled for clues in the trees and on the shoreline). By the time you return to the jetty 35 minutes later, the whole family will be smiling from ear-to-ear and the memories will last forever.
Where We Visit
- Waikato River
- Nga Awapurua Rapids
- Aratiatia Scenic Reserve
Frequently Asked Questions
- Any footwear (running shoes, jandals, sandals – it all counts!)
- In summer: comfy, light clothes
- In the winter: warm & waterproof layers, although we do have jackets to keep you dry!
- Anyone aged 5 years & up can come for a ride with Rapids Jet! As a rule, children need to be 1 metre tall to ride in our jet boats
- The oldest person we have taken was 93 years old! Can you top that?
- The ride is an experience for people of all fitness levels
- Accessibility: To get onto the boat, you are required to head down 25 steps to our jetty. While this means the jetty is non-accessible to wheelchairs, please reach out to chat about how we can help get you to the boat, & if it’s the right ride for you
Yes, you are welcome to bring one of the following onboard:
- Your handsfree camera. We find Head-Mounts work the best for filming.
- Your mobile phone with a camera. However, for safety reasons, this can only be used when the boat has come to a stop. Your driver will tell you when the perfect selfie opportunity is coming up!
Our custom-built jet boats will be doing around 70 – 80 km an hour on our trip, maxing out at about 90km an hour. Trust us – that’s quick enough!
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel as a result of weather conditions, insufficient reservations, or any other unforeseen circumstances
- Minimum age is 5 years
- In the event of a No Show, no refund will be given
- In the case of operator cancellation, a full refund will be offered
- All other refunds for cancellations will be entirely at the discretion of The Operator
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely