- Get up to $20 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full-day tour to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, to discover the region's volcanic history
- Visit Kilauea Visitor’s Center & Volcano House
- Explore coffee country with a stop at Bay View Farm for a tasting
- Stop at the United States' southern-most bakery, Punalu’u Bake Shop
- Sink your toes into Punalu’u Black Sand Beach, keeping an eye out for honu (Green Hawaiian Sea Turtles)
- Hike out to Keanakako’i Crater, visit the Volcano Art Center, & see the famed Sulphur Banks
- Tasty picnic lunch & filling dinner
- Transport on board an air-conditioned mini-coach with the services of a National Park Service certified guide
- Convenient return transfers from selected Kona, Waikoloa, or Kohala accommodation
Evening Volcano Explorer – Kona, Waikoloa, & KohalaDiscover the volcanic legacy of the Hawaiian Islands with guided tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Bakery purchases
What to Expect
Spend a full day exploring the volcanic landscapes of The Big Island, staying after dark to see the lava glow light up the night sky (weather and lava conditions permitting).
Your day starts with pick-ups from selected Kona, Waikoloa, or Kohala accommodation. Then, travel through coffee country for the first stop at Bay View Farm, a working 24-acre coffee farm nestled on the slopes of Mauna Loa Volcano just above beautiful KealakekuaBay and known for the best Kona coffee since 1984.
Here you'll see coffee growing on the trees and learn about the various steps and processes in making coffee, all of which happen on the farm. You'll also sample 100% Kona Coffee at a gorgeous overlook with stunning views of Kealakekua Bay and the monument to Captain Cook standing on the only sliver of British land in the United States.
Continue to the South Kona and Ka'u Districts, enjoying stunning views that alternate between stark lava flows and Hawaiian dry forest through the huge picture windows of your tour vehicle.
Stop briefly at Punalu'u Bake Shop, the southernmost bakery in America. Offering the finest time-honoured Hawaiian sweetbreads since 1991, the Bake Shop boasts an array of bread and cookies – feel free to purchase a snack while you're here.
The next destination is the stunning Punalu'u Black Sand Beach. It's lined with swaying coconut palm trees and is one of the best black sand beaches on the island. Stroll along the beach and look for honu (Green Hawaiian Sea Turtles) feeding offshore or sun-worshipping on the sand.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Finally, it's onto the highlight of the day and the crown jewel of the Big Island – Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Visit the Kilauea Visitor's Center, the Volcano Art Center, and the Kilauea Iki overlook, walk along the crater to Nahuku (lava tube), and hike out to Keanakako’i Crater, then on to Mauna Ulu. You'll also enjoy a picnic lunch.
The landscape at Mauna Ulu is like no other on Earth and is one of the most culturally sensitive locations in the park. Photo ops abound here, and the closer you look, the more unusual and striking shapes and fascinating colours you will see.
Take a quick break at Volcano House, which has been welcoming guests such as Mark Twain and Jack London to Kilauea since 1864. Take in the views or check out the gift shop.
Finally, enjoy a filling dinner at one of the locals' favourite restaurants in Volcano Village, just outside the National Park. Depending on the current eruption status, your guide will take you back into the park after dinner to view the lava glow after dark (only when an eruption at the summit is happening.)
Afterwards, you'll make the trip back to Kona, Waikoloa, or Kohala accommodation.
Where we Visit:
- Bay View Farm
- Mauna Loa Volcano
- Kealakekua Bay
- Punalu'u Bake Shop
- Punalu'u Black Sand Beach
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Kilauea Visitor's Center
- Volcano Art Center
- Kilauea Iki overlook
- Nahuku lava tube
- Mauna Ulu
- Volcano House
- Evening Volcano Explorer – Waikoloa/Kohala Pick-Up
FromUSD $290Check AvailabilityNext available: 09 Jul 2022
- Evening Volcano Explorer – Kona Pick-Up
FromUSD $290Check AvailabilityNext available: 09 Jul 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Moderate air temperatures at sea level with cooler temperatures at higher elevations; occasional rain showers; strenuous hike across uneven and steep, rocky terrain including black lava rock; red lava cannot be guaranteed on this Big Island volcano tour.
Comfortable hiking clothes (shorts are okay), light jacket or sweater, sunglasses and hat, and sturdy closed-toe hiking shoes are required (sandals and flip-flops or “slippahs” will not be accepted).
- For your security, at check-in, you are required to present the credit card that was used to pay for your booking and matching valid photo identification. The name listed on your credit card must be identical to the contact name listed on your booking
- All guests must wear closed-toe shoes
- All children under 7 are required to be in a car seat
- Guests must call The Operator 48 hours prior to the tour to confirm pick up time & location
- The Operator reserves the right to alter, modify or cancel a tour due to bad weather, unsafe conditions or at the request of governmental, park, & state agencies
- The Operator assumes no responsibility for injuries, delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather conditions and other conditions beyond their control
- The Operator is not responsible for any loss or damage to property
- Red lava cannot be guaranteed on this Big Island volcano tour
- Guests must cancel the tour no less than 48 hours before tour departure for a full refund
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely