- Explore a history-drenched neighbourhood and view the iconic sights of Philadelphia with a local guide
- Get a whistle-stop private tour of all the major Philadelphia sights, as well as a couple of hidden gems, too!
- Absorb the rich historical significance of landmarks like the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Christ Church, Elfreth’s Alley, Betsy Ross House and more
- Enjoy a surprise local treat with your guide!
Philadelphia History And Landmarks Walking Tour
See the landmarks and learn the history that shaped America on this Philadelphia tour!
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities for your guide
WHAT TO EXPECT
Visit the unmissable Philly sights on this historical Philadelphia tour that ditches the guidebooks and gives you a dose of history from a local perspective! After all, this is the history that shaped the people of this city, so why not learn about it from them? Start your Philadelphia tour behind the Religious Liberty Statue just outside the National Museum of American Jewish History, where you’ll meet your guide and begin your Best. Day. Ever.
From there, the tour will take you back to the time of the United States' founding, weaving your way through Independence National Park. Your guide will share knowledge of the most significant sites of the park, such as Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and Old City Hall, among other sites that were instrumental in establishing many of the country’s first institutions and ideologies.
Continue this Philadelphia city tour to a spot where (on weekdays only) you can grab a view of Maxfield Parrish's ‘Dream Garden’ mosaic mural and a possible excursion into Washington Square for stories of Philadelphia founder William Penn. The tour will pass the Liberty Bell, where you'll hear about why this iconic symbol has become so famous all around the world. Just next door, you’ll enter the President’s House site, home to George Washington and John Adams during Philly’s tenure as our nation’s capital. You’ll stroll up through the grand stretch of Independence Mall, home to Independence Visitor Center, the National Constitution Center, the Bourse, and the U.S. Mint.
After passing by the gravesite of the city’s most renowned inventor, Ben Franklin, you’ll enter the charming back alleys of Old City with its unique art galleries, trendy cafés, and fascinating industrial architecture and have the chance to grab a quick snack or a drink and relax with your guide — the perfect opportunity to ask any pressing questions you may have about things to do in the neighbourhood after the tour!
Continue to be immersed in history as you venture past the Betsy Ross House and then down Elfreth’s Alley, the street famous for being the oldest continuously occupied residential street in the country. Next, you may be treated to a visit inside Christ Church, where you'll hear stories of our founding fathers, sit where they sat, and learn about the birth of the Episcopal Church in America.
As this Philadelphia tour winds down, your guide will help you make the rest of your visit just as memorable, recommending restaurants, pubs, and more fun things to do! From the building where the US Constitution was signed to George Washington's house, this tour even includes a beer to help you digest all the history.
Philadelphia History And Landmarks Walking Tour
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Are children allowed on this tour?
This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour
When and where does this tour depart?
11.30 AM, 2.30 PM, 5.30 PM - behind the Religious Liberty Statue at the southeast corner of 5th and Market streets; 101 South Independence Mall East
Where does this tour end?
Ending point: Convenient location in the heart of Old City.
Will this tour get cancelled because of bad weather?
This tour will likely go ahead in all weather conditions. However, if tours are cancelled under extreme circumstances, your guide will contact you to move your tour to another day.
Dress standard: A good pair of comfortable walking shoes is advisable. Make sure to check the weather report for rain!
This tour does not go inside Christ Church on the 5:30 pm departure. We will view it from the outside. Some churches may not be open to us on a Sunday.
Closure of sites: Some churches may not be open to us on a Sunday. The Fisher Library hosts students final exams twice a year. We have restricted access (late April to early May and late November to early December) during finals.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
Exclusions — Prices do not include:
- Tips and gratuities — If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers, a tip — though not compulsory — is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many tour destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on your tour.
- Items of a personal nature — These may include snacks, meals, and drinks not outlined as an inclusion in the inclusions section of the tour description.
- Baggage and personal insurance — It is highly recommended that each traveller obtain adequate insurance for their travels, including for the Urban Adventure(s) they have booked.
- Local taxes and fees — Unless otherwise stated, the price does not include any local taxes or fees, including foreign departure, security, port charges, park fees, customs, immigration, agricultural, passenger facility charges, or international transportation tax.
Travellers must adhere to the start time set out in the product information on their voucher. We start on time, so please allow enough time to be at the start point before your official start time on your voucher. If you know you are going to be late, please contact us on the phone number on your voucher and we'll do our best to help you catch up. If a traveller hasn't arrived on time and without any contact, the tour will consider the traveller to be a "no show" and the tour will start without them and no refund will be provided. The following start point(s) are outlined in the tour information and on the confirmation voucher:
- Pick-up — If a pick-up is included in the tour, the times the service will be provided are listed in the product information and on the voucher (for example, 8.30 to 9.00am). The traveller should wait in the lobby of their pick-up point during the designated pick-up times.
- Meeting point — If a meeting point is set for the tour, one time will be set as the start time (for example, 8.30am). The traveller should be waiting at the designated start point at the designated start time. It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the tour.
Cancellations by the traveller: Cancellation fees – Cancellation fees may apply to any cancellations by the traveller of a service provided by The Operator. Unless otherwise specified, the cancellation policy is as follows: Cancellations for set tours and made more than 48 hours prior to travel receive a full refund; Cancellations for set tours made 48 hours or less prior to travel require the traveller to pay for the tour in full, and no refund will be issued. Cancellations for custom itineraries ("Create Your Own") are as follows:
- 60+ days to departure – Full refund
- 59 - 31 days to departure – 50% cancellation fee
- 30 days and under to departure – 100% cancellation fee
Cancellations by The Operator: They may cancel a tour at any time prior to departure if, due to terrorism, natural disasters, political instability, or other external events it is not viable for us to operate the planned itinerary. If we cancel your tour, you can transfer amounts paid to an alternate departure date or, alternatively, receive a full refund. In circumstances where the cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses you may have incurred as a result of your booking, including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, or non-refundable flights.
In the case of customers travelling on a Multi-City Explorer Pass, if a tour is cancelled by The Operator, the traveller will receive a refund for the cost of that trip only, and only if the total value of tours booked with the pass at the end of the 30-day period is less than the total price paid for the pass. If a tour is cancelled by The Operator and the value of the bookings with the pass are equal to or greater than the value of the pass, the traveller will receive a 25% discount on a future single tour booking.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions
- <p>Behind the Religious Liberty Statue at the southeast corner of 5<sup>th</sup> and Market streets; 101 South Independence Mall East</p> <p>View on <a href="https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2%B057'01.4%22N+75%C2%B008'55.7%22Wfirstname.lastname@example.org,-75.1509987
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews