- Get up to $40 cash back per person when you book with us
- Swim with whale sharks in their natural habitat
- Explore the depths of the World Heritage Listed Ningaloo Reef
- Complimentary bus transfers from your accommodation in Exmouth
- Experienced, professional, award-winning crew
- All equipment including quality snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuits)
- Stand up paddle boards and kayaks for use
- Delicious morning tea, buffet lunch and afternoon tea
- Sunscreen, water and dry area for your belongings on board
- Celebratory glass of sparkling wine
- Complimentary gift pack per group booking
- Whale shark swimmer certificate
- Complimentary professional photography package
What to Expect
What's not to love about this unforgettable tour?
Start your day with a complimentary pickup via air-conditioned bus from your accommodation doorstep, where you will then be welcomed by the friendly crew guiding the day's journey.
Listen in or chill out during the drive down the coast as you find out about what you're about to experience and hear some fabulous facts about the local area.
Boarding of the super stable, fast and comfortable 55ft sailing catamaran WINDCHEETAH, is an experience in itself; having been introduced by Chris Hemsworth in the 2016 International Tourism Australia campaign.
WINDCHEETAH is new to Ningaloo and the team can’t wait to share a day out on Ningaloo Reef swimming with the biggest fish in the ocean with you onboard this magnificent catamaran!
Having recently undergone an extensive refit to deck her out with all the equipment necessary to make her the perfect platform for an amazing day on the water, WINDCHEETAH is extremely stable and a great choice for those slightly prone to motion sickness.
Featuring several different areas for viewing wildlife, entering the water and generally just hanging out WINDCHEETAH - this is guaranteed to be one of the highlights of your day (not to take away from the star of the show….the whale shark!)
Meet the rest of your crew for the day and set off in comfort. The team behind the tour will take exceptional care of you, fit you for your fins, masks and wetsuits and ensure everybody is 100% at ease, feeling confident and excited!
Warm up by dropping into one of the most beautiful reefs in the world at the first snorkel site and discover an abundance of coral, tropical fish, turtles and potentially even manta rays or dugongs. The guides will be right there with you in the water to steer you in the right direction, and to pay special attention to any modest swimmers.
Feel free to grab a floating noodle should you feel like the extra bit of flotation!
While you’re busy exploring the reef, the spotter plane has already departed and is searching for our first whale shark cruising nearby.
With a crew that shares a passion for the ocean (it’s their life!), feel free to ask questions throughout the day as many have marine science backgrounds.
When a whale shark has been spotted, it’s all systems go! The skipper will head the boat towards the whale shark’s location where you will then be split into two groups. Now is the time to prepare for your jump into the crystal clear waters of the Ningaloo…as you're about to get up close and personal with the world's biggest fish!
Experience wonder and marvel at the sheer size, grace and elegance of the biggest fish in the world, with sizes ranging between 4m and 12m...with some having grown as large as 18m.
A professional on board photographer will capture every moment in the water, and above the water, from the very best angle for you to also take home at no extra cost.
All the excitment can be hungry work, so lunch is served as you sail back.
You’ll get yet another chance to pack more into your trip, go snorkeling or make use of the kayaks and paddle boards to surrender those last bits of energy you’ve got stored away.
If you don’t have the energy for more activities, sit back and relax in the famous cargo net for a refreshing tow through the crystal clear waters of the lagoon as you sail back in towards Tantabiddi.
To celebrate a truely magnificent day, kick back and enjoy with a glass of sparkling and a seasonal fruit platter while we the sails are set; and listen to the sounds of the water aginst the hull as you make your way back to the mainland.
Wrap things up with a comfortable cruise right back to the front of your accommodation, having experienced the ultimate day out.
Tour dates: March, April, May, June and July
Frequently Asked Questions
This tour operates from Tantabiddi Boat Ramp on the western side of Exmouth Cape, right in the middle of where the whale sharks congregate around Ningaloo Reef. The travel time between pick up and being in the area where the whale sharks are is the absolute shortest possible. The tour arrives in the area where the whale sharks are early and can stay there longer due to the short travel times. The western side where the tour operates from is also the location of the Ningaloo Reef snorkel sites and home to all other wildlife such as turtles, dolphins, mantas and humpback whales! Anything around on the day will also be part of your tour.
There are endless beautiful snorkel sites on Ningaloo Reef. Your skipper and crew will take the Windcheetah to somewhere that they know will be spectacular on the day based on the wind and tide. You will see coral gardens and hundreds of beautifully coloured fish. Keep your eyes open for a friendly turtle or a sleepy reef shark too. You never know what you will see.
As our gift to you, all guests, including those not swimming, will receive all of the professional photographers photos of the day free of charge! A wonderful keepsake to remember the whole experience. These photographers are very experienced using high quality underwater camera gear to give fantastic clear photos both from above and below. After the tour you will be given link, simply open it up and download!
The Supplier is permitted to get nice and close to the whale sharks due to special permission from Department of Parks and Wildlife allowing the tour to interact with them. By approaching them nice and close, you will be able to enter the water with an experienced in-water guide and enjoy them as they swim close by. The Supplier will do all that they can to maximise your chances of an epic swim with a whale shark. With the help of the spotter plane, the tour can find whale sharks that are nearby and be directed to their exact location.
All crew have participated in Department of Parks and Wildlife Whale Shark Training Program so they are very qualified and experienced in how to swim with whale sharks. The crew will explain to you how to best swim with your whale shark to increase our chances of a perfect experience.
**Please note that you must have basic swimming ability to participate in water activities.**
Yes. As an alternative, you can also join the tour as an observer. Observers are encouraged to participate in all activities such as snorkelling the reef, riding the boom net, relaxing on the day beds, use of the glass bottom kayaks and stand up paddle boards or even swimming with a manta ray. An observers only restriction is that they will not enter the water with a whale shark, but rather observe the action from the bow of the Windcheetah. If an Observer were to decide on the day that you would like to try swimming with a whale shark after all, just have a chat to the crew. If there are spaces available you can upgrade!
*Please note that there are only limited spots available for swimming with a whale shark. If these are all filled, observers will not be able to upgrade on the day.
Sea sickness is always a risk when spending a day on the water. The Windcheetah is the best option for anyone worried about feeling unwell on the tour due to its twin hull design. Catamarans are renowned for being the most stable on the water which helps to keep motion sickness away.
Ways that you can avoid illness form affecting your day are:
- Avoid drinking alcohol the night before your tour
- Eat a small non greasy breakfast prior to arriving
- Purchase yourself some sea sickness medication from a pharmacy and take it as per the instructions
- Once onboard, sip water and keep your eyes on the horizon as much as possible
- Sit out in the breeze, don't confine yourself inside
- Try not to think about it, sometimes your own mindset is the best preventative
The Supplier offers water and assistance on board to anyone who may feel unwell.
Reviews for Ningaloo Reef Whale Shark Swim And Snorkel
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- Public departures are subject to weather conditions and minimum numbers.
- Missed tours cannot be refunded or rescheduled.
- All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a swimming adult
- Please note a basic level of swimming is required
- Change of date is permitted up to 7 days prior to the departure date, any changes made 7 days - 48 hours prior will incur a $25.00 re-booking fee.
- All bookings within 48 hours can not be changed.
- Cancellations made 7 days - 72 hours prior to the departure date will result in the loss of 25% of the total booking fee.
- Cancellations made 48-72 hours prior to the departure date will result in the loss of 50% of the total booking fee.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours prior to the departure date will not be refunded.
- Cancellations must be made in writing (post or email) and received by The Supplier
- To avoid any miscommunication, requests for cancellations or amendments over the phone will not be accepted
- Date transfers (rescheduling) are permitted up to 7 days prior to the departure date; any changes made 7 days - 48 hours prior will incur a $25.00 re-booking fee.
- No rescheduling is permitted within 48 hours of the departure date.
- Cancellations made more than 7 days prior to the departure date will incur a $25.00 cancellation fee.
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation