- Beer or soft drink at a local pub
- Local English-speaking guide
- Over 12 food tastings
- A tram or train fare may be required depending on the market;
- Your guide can help you purchase a ticket at the beginning of the tour food and drinks, souvenirs, and personal shopping.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Get to know Melbourne's culinary culture with a visit to the markets
- Catch a tram or train out to one of Melbourne's eclectic multicultural markets
- Graze the market, graze the world as you sample over a dozen international and some Aussie foods
- Learn about the gastronomic culture, history, and traditions of the region from your local foodie host
- Learn the history of markets in Australia and why their multicultural food reflects Australia's diverse society
The markets of Melbourne's neighborhoods are buzzing, colorful reflections of the city's soul. Half of Aussies are first- or second-generation immigrants and this diverse cultural tapestry is on full display in its markets. Go behind the scenes, taste the food, meet the vendors, and discover the local culture. Ask any Melbournian to point you in the direction of something cool and more likely than not they'll direct you out into the neighborhoods. On this tour, we'll celebrate the local foodie culture in Melbourne’s multicultural markets on a three-hour walking and public transport tour. With your localhost and intimate group, you’ll discover the best of Melbourne’s bustling markets.
Learn about the local gastronomic culture, as well as the history and culinary traditions that are unique to the city. We’ll ride to the market on the local tram or train, in the afternoon hours when the crowds at the market are thinner. This will allow you to interact with the vendors, as you gain rare insight into the history of the city and how the character of Melbourne has developed. Melbourne's oldest markets are packed with stories, and we’ll include plenty of samples, tastings, and time for you to explore, so you can get the true experience. Hear about how immigration has been a driving force in what gives Melbourne such a unique vibe. We'll also explore the surroundings of the market and pop in on some of our favorite street eats.
Depending on the day and guide you may find yourself in Footscray at the Vietnamese market, Coburg at the Middle Eastern market, or South Melbourne for the predominantly Mediterranean Market. Each has its own character, amazing food, and eclectic style and buzz. We'll finish with a drink at a local pub or bar. Continue shopping on your own, or head back to your hotel for a rest before your evening in Melbourne. Maybe join us for our Craft Beer Lover's tour in other cool Melbourne neighborhoods.
What to wear
Please wear comfortable clothing appropriate for the weather conditions on the day. Keep in mind that Melbourne's weather can be unpredictable.
We'll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number for business hours only on your voucher. This tour can accommodate dietary restrictions such as vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free requests. Please notify us in advance of any dietary needs.