- One-way shuttle transfers from the secure Ketetahi Park & Ride to the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Cultural blessings
- Free photography
- Use of walking poles
- A drink at the end of your hike
- Return shuttle from Tongariro Alpine Crossing to Ketetahi Park & Ride
WHAT TO EXPECT
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is Aotearoa New Zealand’s best 1-day adventure hike. The 19-and-a-half kilometre journey takes you across the peak of Mt Tongariro, discovering lava flows, steam vents, emerald-coloured lakes, an active crater, and unforgettable views of the surrounding landscape. The hike takes 6 to 8 hours and requires a moderate fitness level, appropriate clothing and equipment, and an adequate supply of food and water.
Choose a fantastic transport option from the secure Ketetahi Park & Ride to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. These one-way shuttle transfers are perfect for self-hikers embarking on the epic journey. You'll be welcomed into the heart of the Tongariro National Park, the first UNESCO dual heritage National Park in the world. It sits among New Zealand's sacred and world-renowned volcanic mountains of Pihanga, Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, and Ruapehu.
Shuttle times from the secure Ketetahi Park & Ride at 6.00 am, 7.00 am, 8.00 am, 9.00 am, 10.00 am. Along the way, you'll enjoy learning about Manaakitanga – the caring and safety of visitors, and Kaitiakitanga – guardianship to preserving life and the environment. The journey to the hike takes 30 minutes.
Before you depart, it's important to be aware that this is a challenging journey, and there are safety measures you should take.
- Plan your trip (seek local knowledge and plan the route you take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect to take)
- Tell someone (tell someone your plans and leave a date for when to raise the alarm if you haven't returned) please notify us of your return
- Be aware of the weather (the weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes)
- Know your limits (Challenge yourself within your physical limits and enjoy your experience)
- Take sufficient supplies (Food, water, first aid kit, extra clothing - NO denim jeans, sunscreen, wet weather gear, sturdy footwear, headlamp, and your own toilet paper)
- No infants allowed
Where we visit:
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing