- Zip across Foveaux Strait between Bluff and Stewart Island on our comfortable catamarans.
- Complimentary tea and coffee onboard
- Comprehensive commentaries provide information on the interesting landmarks commonly seen, including Dog Island Lighthouse, Ruapuke Island, the Titi Islands, and Mt Anglem - Stewart Island’s highest point.
- A Government visitor levy of NZ$2.50 per adult per one-way ferry crossing is included in the adult rates.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Visit Stewart Island, just one hour’s ferry ride from Bluff and New Zealand’s ultimate eco-tourism destination. During the trip keep an eye out for wildlife – particularly seabirds such as Mollymawk (Albatross) and Titi which often follow the vessel. Our friendly staff provide informative commentary and point out highlights.
Ferry crossings operate all year round. Distance covered is 40km (approx. 25 miles). Interpretation handouts and complimentary tea and coffee are available. All vessels are wheelchair accessible.
Passengers are required to check-in to the Bluff or Stewart Island Visitor Terminals 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Check-in and boarding gates are closed 15 minutes before scheduled ferry departure times.
Ferry departure locations
- From Bluff: Stewart Island Experience Visitor Terminal - 21 Foreshore Road, Bluff.
- From Stewart Island: Stewart Island Visitor Terminal.
We also operate coach connections (from Invercargill, Queenstown & Te Anau) which meet our ferry arrivals/departures (see "Coach & Ferry Services" below).
What to bring
Shoes/boots (non-slip), warm clothing/jacket, sunscreen/sunglasses and camera.
Personal baggage is carried free on the ferries - maximum of two bags per person (one stowed and one small carry-on).
For visitors to Stewart Island wishing to bring additional baggage, the transport of these items is by prior arrangement. This service is not available on all ferry departures, due to the size of the vessel and the limited cargo space available.
Additional baggage - prices valid until 30 September 2020.
- Bicycle $10 one way
- E-bikes $20 one way
- Single Kayak $25 one way
- Double Kayak $30 one way
- Dinghy $40 one way
- Small motorbike $35 one way.
Vehicle parking at Bluff
Vehicle parking is available in Bluff, adjacent to the Bluff Visitor Terminal for self-driving visitors taking the ferry to Stewart Island. Parking is available for cars, boat trailers, coaches, campervans, motorcycles and bicycles. This is an airport-style parking facility, so you collect a ticket on entry and pay when you leave. Vehicle parking cannot be booked in advance.
Prices valid 1 October 2019 - 30 April 2021.
- Up to 26 hours $21
- Up to 50 hours $31
- Up to 74 hours $41
- Up to 98 hours $52
- Up to 122 hours $62
- Thereafter $10 per 24 hours or part thereof.