- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full-day small-group nature tour to walk among the world's tallest & largest flowering plants
- Learn the science & the magic of these ancient forests with your knowledgeable botanist guide
- All national park entry fees
- Transport onboard a climate-controlled minivan
- Optional pick-ups from selected Hobart CBD accommodation
- Departs from the meeting point at 20 Davey St, Hobart
Tasmania Big Tree HuntingTake a walk in the woods of the World Heritage-listed Southwest National Park to uncover a world of giant trees & unique flora.
What to Expect
This full-day tour from Hobart is so much more than a walk in the woods – it's an ecology experience that will immerse you in the fascinating forests of Tasmania. Learn the science and the magic of these ancient forests with your knowledgeable botanist guide as he shares his passion and years of experience on this life-changing trip.
Venture into hidden valleys surrounded by craggy mountains, see gushing waterfalls and extensive button grass plains. Take a closer look at what lies beneath some of the oldest, gnarliest and tallest trees – the plants and fungi of the ancient rainforest lineages and countless animal species. The journey is half the fun with panoramic views of the coastline, harbour, or mountains as you travel to the forested corners of this fantastic island.
The day starts in Hobart, at the meeting spot on Davey St, before commencing the journey to the edge of Tasmania's World Heritage-listed Southwest National Park. From here, walk through the Giant Forest to the densely tree-packed banks of the Styx River or at Mount Field to stop and marvel at the largest and oldest giant gum trees. Next, visit the famous Tall Trees Walk or the Tolkien Track with its renowned trees – Gandalf's Staff and Fangorn.
Your botanist guide will bring all the equipment he needs to help share his knowledge, including a laser rangefinder, tape measure and spherical camera—spot giant tree species from around the world, including redwoods, sequoia, cedar and more.
If conditions and time permit, you might also visit the entrance to the spectacular subterranean river of Junee Cave. It's is part of an extensive cave system stretching through 295 caves, including the deepest cave in Australia.
Breathe the fresh Tasmanian mountain air as you walk under giant tree ferns to the gushing Russell Falls – the most photographed waterfall in Tasmania. Finally, view the 'skyscrapers' of Andromeda Grove, the tallest grove of flowering plants anywhere on earth.
Where we Visit:
- Southwest National Park
- Styx River or Mount Field
- Tall Trees Walk or the Tolkien Track
- Junee Cave
- Russell Falls
- Andromeda Grove
Frequently Asked Questions
More important than age is attitude. The Operator has found over the years that if you have a curious temperament and a thirst for adventure, then age is no barrier for any of the tours. However, they ask that children please be accompanied by an adult.
In Tasmania, you can experience four seasons in one day. The east coast is often dry while the west coast is wet. Wear layers. The sun can get hot, but once it goes down, the cool can set in fast. The Operator recommends you bring a sunhat (and beanie), sunscreen, water bottle, Any medications or assistive devices you require, a camera and a waterproof jacket. Wear sturdy shoes, but please clean them before the trip to prevent any soil or seed contamination.
There is some bushwalking on this tour so a basic level of fitness is required.
Due to the physical nature of this walking tour, it's not suitable for people with significant mobility issues.
The vehicles are conveniently equipped to carry collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark.
- The Operator highly recommends all passengers have travel insurance for the duration of the tour
- Due to limited luggage restrictions on buses, pushers and prams are not permitted on some tours
- It’s important that you declare any pre-existing medical conditions when you book the tour with us
- All our tours are run by a trip leader and it is imperative that passengers listen to their guide’s instructions in order to stay safe. If you fail to respect the decision of your guide and/or fail to follow their instructions, disrupt the group or affect the mobility of the group, your guide can remove you from the tour effective immediately, with no right of a refund
- You can cancel your tour booking outside 7 days prior to the scheduled departure and receive a full refund less a 2% booking fee
- The Operator is unable to guarantee refunds for tours cancelled by you within 7 days of your departure date
- Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely