- Coffee or tea
- Snacks and a glass of wine
- Local English speaking guide
- Additional food and drink
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Explore the hidden corners of medieval Lucca
- Enjoy relaxing outdoors at a bar in the magnificent Amphitheatre Square
- Experience walk along Lucca's ancient walls and learn about the city's artisan traditions
To live like a local is to eat like a local! And on this private tour, we're going to show you how to drink and dine as they do in Lucca, with a dash of history thrown in along the way. Sweetbread with raisins, sheep's cheese, prosciutto, salami, olive oil, chocolate, wine, beer, cappuccino what more could you want on a yummy Italian food tour?! This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travelers. A solo traveler may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travelers.
We’ll start our Lucca tour at the very spot that welcomes most visitors to the city: the Lucca train station. From there, we’ll head through the majestic city walls and reach the beautiful Cathedral Square, giving you your first taste of life in Lucca. But wait! To truly “taste” the city, you need to do just that and put your taste buds to work. Italians never start the day without their espresso fix, so we’ll do as the locals do and savor a cup of coffee. And because a good espresso goes best with a delicious treat, we’ll taste a traditional delicacy: Buccellato cake. We’ll take you to an original vintage place and enter the magical world of chocolate too! Merchants and nobles were Lucca’s first lovers of chocolate and the tradition of chocolate-making has lasted for five centuries.
We’ll taste the best selection in one of the most beautiful chocolate shops in town. Don’t worry, though, we’ll keep moving so you can walk off the calorific chocolate! With the caffeine and sugar fuelling us we will head towards the main shopping street of Lucca, admiring the medieval and Renaissance architecture and the signs of the old shops that testify to the city’s ancient artisan traditions: shoemakers, knife grinders, and silk merchants. We’ll get to take in wonderful views from the top of the city as we wander along a part of the Renaissance walls.
This pedestrian way is where locals regularly run, walk, and relax. This last stop on our Lucca tour will bring us to Roman times in the Piazza Della Anfiteatro, or Amphitheatre Square, which is full of typical shops and lunch! We’ll introduce you to some authentic food and wine like maybe some Bazzone cured ham, Colonnata lardo, finocchiona salami, or Pecorino cheese produced in the Garfagnana mountains. To wash it all down, we’ll cheer with a glass of good local wine or artisan beer. Salute!
What to wear
Please wear casual dress and comfortable shoes for walking.
- By joining this adventure and participating in the aperitivo tradition, you will experience real local life because this pre-dinner ritual in Lucca is very popular and an important aspect of life in Italy.
- During your tour, there will be three different stops which each represent different ways to do an "aperitivo" in town. By visiting these venues, we are supporting local vendors and promoting local produce.
- From artisan beer and red wine from the Montecarlo wine area to Tuscan bread, locally-cured meats, and pecorino cheese produced in the nearby Garfagnana area, everything you sample on this tour is a true representation of local cuisine.