- Fully guided stand up paddle board (half day) on Lake Wanaka
- All transport to location provided
- 2 hours total paddling (allow 3 hours total time)
- Includes drinks and brownies
- Water taxi pick-up or drop-off
- Wetsuit (if needed) and all safety equipment
- Tour operates in most weather conditions and can be tailored to suit skill levels
WHERE WE VISIT
What to Expect
This is the best way to see Lake Wanaka - from the water itself! Enjoy a stand-up paddling board session suitable for beginners to experts.
The tour in small groups so it is tailored to suit your skill levels. If you’re a beginner, you'll have the chance to cover the basics with your guide, and if you're already a proficient SUP paddler, the lesson will adapt to enhance your skills.
This stand up paddle board trip tailors both the location and the route to suit your interests and abilities making it a great adventure for everyone. It's also water-taxi supported, so no matter what the weather is like, you'll be surrounded by the stunning scenery of Lake Wanaka. So what are you waiting for? Get paddling!
Begin your journey either at the Wanaka I-site or right at your accommodation door. From there you’ll head down to the lake, where your stand up paddleboard adventure begins!
From the waterfront, you’ll be geared up and will receive instructions on the basics from the shelter of Roy’s Bay.
Then, depending on the lake conditions, you'll head to your start point. Begin with either short paddle over to the marina to get picked up by the water taxi, or start your SUP journey out of town!
If water taxi is the first mode of transport for the day, you’ll enjoy a sweet scenic ride. Afterwards, you’ll be dropped off in an out-of-town location to begin your paddle journey back into Wanaka.
If you begin from the waterfront, you’ll paddle out of town, looking towards Mount Aspiring Park as you go. You'll be picked up at the end of your adventure for a water-taxi ride back into Wanaka. Get ready for some stunning views!
Along the way, your guide will give you helpful tips and tricks to improve your SUP skills. They'll also share facts about the history and environment that shaped Lake Wanaka.
Between the paddling and water taxi fun, you'll also have the chance to stop at scenic spots and enjoy a picnic with light beverages and the famous 'Paddle Wanaka' brownie!
Your tour finishes in town, so it's just a short trip back to your pick up point. Please allow 3 hours for this tour with approx. 2 hours of paddling time.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will want to wear swimwear or something that you don’t mind getting wet. Jeans or anything cotton is not great. If it is cold we will give you a wetsuit and splash jacket to wear over your swimwear.
You don’t need to bring much! Sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses if it is sunny, a water bottle, and a change of clothes for after the tour are all recommended.
We will provide stand up paddle boards, paddles, leashes, and lifejackets, plus wetsuits and thermal layers if it is cold out. Your guide will have all the appropriate safety equipment for the trip.
You will be paddling for a total of 1.5-2 hours. You will have a break for a drink and a snack along the way to keep up your energy. There will be some transportation and instructional time at the beginning of your trip as well.
The Lake Escape is a perfect trip for beginners or more experienced stand up paddle boarders! Your guide will spend the time you need to get you feeling comfortable on the board. If you have some experience already, your guide will find a longer or more challenging route for you to try out!
You do not need to be able to swim, but please let your guide know so that they can make sure you are comfortable on the water.
It is very likely you will get wet, and possible that you will fall in while paddle boarding, which is all part of the fun!
The weather/wind will play a big part in dictating exactly where your tour will go, but the plan is to try and go with the wind. This means either starting in town and ending further away (bring picked up by a water-taxi at the end), or taking the water-taxi out at the beginning and then paddling back into town.
Reviews for 'The Lake Escape' Stand up Paddle Board Tour
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- Risk Awareness: Participation with Paddle Wanaka will require signing a risk disclose form on the day.
- Things to consider are listed below:
1) By undertaking this activity, I am aware that I may get wet in some manner, I understand that conditions may change and can get very cold and windy. I am prepared for this.
2) I understand that this is an outdoor activity, and as such there is always an element of risk involved that may cause serious harm or worse to myself or others, if my actions are inappropriate.
3) I will listen to, and follow, all instructions given to me by Paddle Wanaka staff.
- Cancellations must be given 24 hours prior to the commencement of the tour to receive a full refund.
- If Paddle Wanaka needs to cancel a booking for any reason, customers will be notified as early as possible, and will be given the option to rebook or be refunded 100% of the trip cost.
- If on the date of the tour a pre-booked customer does not turn up for whatever reason, no refund will be given.
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
- Edgewater Resort
- Lakeside Apartments
- The Moorings
- Wanaka Isite
- Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park & Motels
- Wanaka Lakeview Holiday Park
- Wanaka Top 10 Holiday Park
- YHA Purple Cow
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation