Jump aboard our monster tour. Crammed with excitement and adventure, you won't waste a single second as we wander through forests, discover the Harry Potter Bridge and enjoy the Highlands of Scotland. Our stop for the first night is right on the shores of the majestic Loch Ness where you will have ample opportunity to search for the elusive Nessie and take in the fantastic views across the loch, possibly with a whiskey in your hand. With Loch Ness under our belts, we venture forth to the magical Isle of Skye, searching for faeries, eternal youth and discovering stunning scenery.
3 Day Edinburgh Loch Ness & Skye Tour
Crammed with excitement and adventure, you won’t waste a single second as we wander through forests and enjoy the Highlands of Scotland
WHAT TO EXPECT
Explore the Highlands search for Scotland's most elusive beastie
Day 1: Wallace Monument
Departing from Edinburgh, we set out on our adventure to explore the wild Highlands of Scotland taking in dramatic and violent Glen Coe, Glenfinnan Viaduct (the Harry Potter bridge!) and go in search of Nessie, the legendary monster that lurks beneath the deep waters of Loch Ness. Our hostel for the night is situated right on the shores of the loch with stunning views of the water. This is the only hostel in the world that can offer this unrivaled setting.
- Wallace Monument
- Doune Castle
- Rannoch Moor
- Glen Coe
- Glenfinnan Viaduct (The Harry Potter Bridge)
- Sleep on the shores of Loch Ness!
Day 2: Sligachan
We start today off by making our way over to the Isle of Skye where you will learn all about the mischievous faeries, hear tales of Celtic myths and see some of the most dramatic scenery our country has to offer. We head up to the Trotternish Peninsula for a lovely hike and amazing views in this unspoiled wilderness, before heading to the wee village of Kyleakin to spend the night on this magical island.
- The Cuillin Mountains
- Old Man of Storr
- Kilt Rock
- The Quiraing
Day 3: Eilean Donan Castle
Departing Skye we head back to the mainland, past the picturesque Eilean Donan Castle and journey south-east taking in awe-inspiring views of mountains (including Britain’s highest, Ben Nevis) and lovely Lochs! You will learn of heroic and ferocious clans as we travel down through the Highland Divide to Dunkeld before making our way to Edinburgh via the Forth Bridges.
- Eilean Donan Castle
- Glen Shiel
- Ben Nevis
- Loch Laggan
- Forth Bridges
The above itinerary is not set in stone! Your guide may use their knowledge to modify the itinerary to best suit the Scottish weather & to maximize your experience.
What to bring: A small backpack.
What to wear: Sturdy walking boots or trail shoes, a lightweight waterproof outer layer, and cold weather clothing.
3 Day Edinburgh Loch Ness & Skye Tour
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Child up to 12 years:
Do I need to print off my booking confirmation?
No, but please make a note of your booking number to show to reception staff.
Where do the tours leave from?
All tours depart from our hostels in the Old Town of Edinburgh: Castle Rock Hostel, 15 Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2PW Always check your email confirmation for exact departure location.
What time do the tours depart and return?
Extended Tours – Three and Five Day Tours
During the winter season (Standard Time - usually November to March) our tours depart at 8:00am and return between 4:30pm and 6:00pm.
Extended Tours – Two, Three, Five, Six and Seven Day Tours
During the summer season (Daylight Saving Time - usually April to October) our tours depart at 9:00am and return between 5:30pm and 7:00pm.
Always check your email confirmation for exact departure times. Please be aware that we can not be responsible for any onward travel arrangements that you may have
What should I bring with me?
It is important to come prepared for what we get up to on tour. We like to get out and about and get in about nature, and you need the right gear to do that - a flipflops won't see you through a hike.
Therefore, we recommend:
- Sturdy walking boots or trail shoes from a reputable brand
- A good pair of walking shoes is the difference between a nice relaxing hike and being hugely uncomfortable - Nobody likes blisters and twisted ankles.
- A lightweight waterproof outer layer
- Scotland's weather can be changeable, and when clouds get trapped in the mountains that means rain. We recommend a shell-type waterproof outer layer for keeping the rain out that can be worn over your existing attire. Remember: Water resistant is not the same as waterproof.
- Cold weather clothing
- Nobody wants sniffles so be prepared to wrap up warm, especially in the winter months. It will be cold - This can be as simple as a hoodie or sweater.
- A small backpack
- Ideally, with a waterproof lining or cover, this is for your daily adventures with enough room for the essentials like food, water, cameras, medicine, waterproofs, dry socks, warm gear, etc.
- Spending money
- Be it whiskey, food or souvenirs for people back home: you'll need spending money. When you go to your local Bureau de Change you may be issued with 'Bank of England' notes - Don't worry, these are perfectly acceptable.
- An open mind
- Travelling is all about seeing new places, meeting new people and trying new things - Make the most of it.
Which days of the week do your tours leave?
The 2 Day Loch Ness Express departs on Tuesdays & Thursdays.
The 3 Day Isle of Skye tour departs on selected Mondays & Wednesdays and every Friday.
The 3 Day Loch Ness and Skye tour depart on Saturdays.
The 5 Day Skye and Highland Fling tour departs every Monday.
The 6 Day Orkney Stravaig departs on selected Mondays.
The 7 Day Best of the West departs on selected Mondays.
Do you organise accommodation in Edinburgh?
We do not currently organize accommodation in Edinburgh but if you would like to book accommodation in Edinburgh then please visit our hostel website to check availability and book www.scotlandstophostels.com.
What sort of accommodation do you offer in your hostels?
All of our hostels provide dormitory accommodation, in rooms of between 6 and 12 beds. A dorm bed will be held automatically for you for each night of your tour (not including Edinburgh).
Is accommodation included in the price of the tour?
Unless otherwise stated, eg. Christmas/Hogmanay Packages, accommodation is not included in the price of the tour but is guaranteed for you whilst on tour. You will, therefore, be asked to pay on arrival at the hostels and the cost is between £18.00 and £24.00 per person per night.
You can pay for your accommodation with either cash or credit/debit card.
You also have the option to pre-pay for your accommodation on 2,3 & 5-day tours by utilizing the Express Check-in option at the point of booking.
Is there an age restriction on the tours?
All passengers MUST be aged 18 and over.
MacBackpackers tours have been designed for 18 to 40-year-old backpackers and therefore the nature and style of the tour reflects this. Certain levels of activity and the style of language used whilst on tour may not be suitable for passengers outside this age bracket.
We go on hikes where the weather and terrain can be difficult at times. Please be aware of this. A good level of physical fitness may be needed
What are the people on the bus like?
We design our tours for 18 to 40-year-olds. In the main, people are traveling on their own and are looking to meet new people and have fun on their trip. At most there are only ever 29 people on the bus and we do our very best to ensure that everyone enjoys the tour.
Where do the tours go?
Each tour has an itinerary which you can find by choosing a tour on the website and then clicking on the ‘itinerary’ button which is just above the map. The tours are quite flexible and so your guide will take you to the most interesting, beautiful and inspiring places, giving you plenty of memories to take home with you.
What are the buses like?
Our fleet of modern Mercedes Benz and MAN 16-29 seat mini-coaches have everything you would expect; heating, air conditioning, reclining seats, seat belts and plenty of Scottish music! They are safe and modern and are low emission Euro 5/6 compliant. Please note there are no toilet facilities on the coaches, though we do make frequent restroom stops.
How much luggage can I bring?
The buses are small so that we can take you to the places that the big coaches can’t go. This means the storage is reduced too and so we would ask that you just bring what you need for the trip. If you have really big bags or large suitcases and you are staying at one of our 3 Edinburgh hostels before your tour then please ask the staff if you can leave it in the luggage store until you get back. If you are not staying in one of our hostels then please arrive slightly earlier for your tour and ask the staff in the hostel you depart from to keep it in the luggage store for you.
What about food?
The price of the tour doesn’t include food. However, we make supermarket stops every day and each of the hostels has a well-equipped kitchen for our guests to use. There will also be pubs and restaurants near each hostel if you feel like eating out in the evening.
What about the weather?
You should try to be prepared for all types of weather on our tours as it can be quite changeable. We would suggest that you bring warm clothes, a waterproof, sturdy boots/shoes, and swimming gear!
- All passengers must be aged 18 and over.
- MacBackpackers tours have been designed for 18 to 40-year-old backpackers and therefore the nature and style of the tour reflects this.
- Extended tours three and five-day tours:
- during the winter season (Standard time - usually November to March) our tours depart at 08:00 and return between 16:30 and 18:00. Extended tours two, three, five, six and seven-day tours
- during the summer season (daylight saving time - usually April to October) our tours depart at 09:00 and return between 17:30 and 19:00.
- The 3 Day Isle of Skye tour departs on selected Mondays & Wednesdays and every Friday.
- The buses are small so that we can take you to the places that the big coaches can't go. This means the storage is reduced too and so we would ask that you just bring what you need for the trip.
- If you are not staying in one of our hostels then please arrive slightly earlier for your tour and ask the staff in the hostel you depart from to keep it in the luggage store for you.
- The price of the tour doesn't include food. However, we make supermarket stops every day and each of the hostels has a well-equipped kitchen for our guests to use. There will also be pubs and restaurants near each hostel if you feel like eating out in the evening.
- You should try to be prepared for all types of weather on our tours as it can be quite changeable.
- For our standard Two, Three and Five Day tours; Up to 7 full days prior to departure there will be a 75% refund. Within 7 days – no refund applies.
- Deposits are non-refundable. Where part payment has been made the refundable amount will be the amount paid minus the initial deposit.
- In the event that you cannot take the tour you’ve booked as a consequence of an act of God, eg. weather or natural disasters, refunds will be at the discretion of MacBackpackers. Travel insurance is always recommended.