- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- Tour a Barramundi fish farm, to learn how they grow & supply top quality, sustainable produce to restaurants
- Explore over 3 hectares of earthen ponds filled with saltwater from the Daintree River
- Enjoy a Daintree Saltwater Barramundi tasting plate for a real farm to table experience
- Departs from the meeting point at Lot 3 Vixes Rd, Wonga Beach, QLD
What to Expect
Go behind the scenes of the multi-award-winning Daintree Saltwater Barramundi Farm! See how they grow and supply top quality, sustainable produce to restaurants and merchants all over Australia. Your expert guide will take you on a journey of fishy discovery that explores the amazing iconic Australian Barramundi from fingerling to finger food.
For 18 years, this farm has been providing a sustainable supply of world-class barramundi to some of the finest restaurants across the country, and many happy families in Far North Queensland. All without depleting wild food stocks! Despite its indigenous name, over 60% of barramundi in Australia is imported. Most Aussies don’t know where their barra comes from and have no guarantee of quality or origin.
Daintree Saltwater Barramundi Fish Farms are perfectly positioned beside the Daintree River, sandwiched between the World Heritage-listed Daintree Rainforest, Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. On the 49 hectare property, they grow fish in over 3 hectares of earthen ponds filled with saltwater from the Daintree River to replicate the natural habitat of the Barramundi. The farm starts with 10cm long hand-selected fingerlings from local hatcheries and, over 12 to 18 months, grow them to commercial size.
This is an Australian company, managed by long-time local Mark Hober (aka Farmer Mark). He’s passionate about Barra (just ask him!) and grew up fishing the Daintree River. Don’t tell him we told you, but he’s a giant in the industry, respected for his leadership in innovation, management, sustainability and best practice.
Barramundi is a superfood — it’s full of essential vitamins and minerals that support your immune, cardiovascular and nervous systems, all of which are pretty important! It's packed full of protein, has the highest Omega-3s of any white fish, half the calories of salmon and 40g calcium in just one fillet. Plus, it takes only 1.5kg feed for a farmed barramundi to grow 1kg in weight; but it takes 5kg for a cow, 4kg for a sheep and 15-25kg for a wild barra. So it’s great for the environment too! Try it for yourself with a tasting plate included for a fresh farm-to-table experience.
Where we Visit:
- Daintree Saltwater Barramundi Fish Farms
Frequently Asked Questions
Lot 3 Vixes Rd, Wonga Beach, QLD 4873
- To protect visitors, there are implemented practices to comply with The Queensland Government's Covid19 Safe Business Restrictions.
- Please ensure that you are in good health when booking as entry will be refused to persons displaying symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Should you become unwell before your visit please contact us to reschedule your visit for another day
- If your cancellation is less than 24 hours in advance, you will receive a gift card to attend a future session. Gift cards are valid for 3 years
- If your cancellation is at least 24 hours in advance of your fishing session or tour, you will receive a full refund
- If the operator is forced to cancel your tour for any reason they will provide a 100% refund
Reviews for 1 Hour Barramundi Gourmet Farm Tour
Get Instant Confirmation