- Amazing 75-min paddle across Waitemata Harbour
- 45-min guided walk to the summit of Rangitoto Island
- 360-degree view of Auckland’s skyline and the Hauraki Gulf
- Paddle under Auckland's glistening night's sky
- Professional guide
- No experience needed
Rangitoto Island Kayaking Tour
Join Auckland’s most famous kayaking tour to Rangitoto Island and paddle under the stars!
Buy as a Gift
- Dinner (or lunch)
- Hotel pick up or drop off
Why do we love this
"We love this because Fergs Kayak Tours have been running since 1990 - these guys know what they're doing!"
WHAT TO EXPECT
A true Auckland classic
No trip to New Zealand is complete without this awesome Auckland classic!
Come along for a 6-hour sunset adventure that will make you fall in love with our fantastic city. Get ready to use those arm muscles as we paddle through Waitemata Harbour in our kayaks. After an amazing 75 minutes on the water, we then land up at Rangitoto Island.
Here, our expert guide will take you on a 45-minute guided trip to the summit of the island’s volcano. From the top, you’ll have a beautiful 360-degree view of Auckland’s skyline and the Hauraki Gulf.
As the cherry on top, we then paddle back under the beautiful Auckland night sky and all its glistening stars. We promise heaps of fun, splashing water and incredible views!
Paddle through the harbour
We kick off this awesome 6-hour sunset adventure in our headquarters at Okahu Bay at 5.30 pm. If you prefer going during the day, we also run daytime tours which start at 8.30 am.
After a safety briefing by your lovely guide, we all head down to the water where you’ll get your kayak and safety gear. We have experienced guides, all of whom have a passion for watersports, and we can’t wait to share it with you!
We’ll paddle across Waitemata Harbor and enjoy the fresh afternoon breeze on the way. As soon as you get the hang of the paddle, you’ll be able to lean back and just have fun. 75 minutes and plenty of splashing later, we’ll reach the shores of Rangitoto Island.
Visit Rangitoto Island
Rangitoto Island is a volcanic island located in the Hauraki Gulf. The dormant volcano on the island was formed about 6000 years ago and is the youngest and largest volcano in the Auckland volcanic field. It’s a bit of a landmark for the city, and the island has been a popular day trip destination for more than 100 years. You’ll soon see why we keep coming back to this place – it truly is amazing!
The volcano also has great symbolic value for the local Maori people. Its name Rangitoto means “Bloody Sky” and comes from a Maori legend in which two tribes had a battle on the island.
Guided walk to the summit
After landing the kayaks, our guide will take you on a 45-minute walk through this awesome place. You’ll learn a lot of interesting facts while you walk up the ancient lava flow and through the native fern forest. Once at the summit, you’ll be rewarded with some absolutely spectacular scenery. You’ll have a perfect view of the islands in the Hauraki Gulf and Auckland’s impressive skyline.
When we’re ready, we’ll walk back down and jump in the kayaks. To make your kayaking trip extra awesome, we’ve asked Mother Nature to bring out all her glistening stars while we paddle back to Auckland. Kayaking under the starry sky is an experience you’ll never forget. It’s our favourite part of the tour and we’re pretty sure you’re going to love it, too!
Kayaking is our passion
Fergs Kayaks is Auckland’s leading kayaking center and is known all over the city as the place to go for a fantastic experience on the water. Our company was founded in 1990 by Ian Ferguson who is one of New Zealand’s all-time top athletes. He’s the proud owner of four Olympic gold medals and five World Championships in kayaking. In other words, Fergs is built on a true passion for watersports!
We have more than 25 years’ experience in running kayaking trips and we know Auckland better than anyone. We’ve got kayaking trips for beginners as well as highly experienced paddlers. All you need to do is come down to our office and we’ll find the right tour for you.
Time and Departure:
Our Rangitoto sunset tours meet at Fergs Kayaks base at 5.30pm and return at approximately 11pm.
We also guide daytime kayak tours to Rangitoto, meeting at 8.30am and returning at approximately 2pm.
Rangitoto Volcano Adventure tour is weather-dependent.
Not recommended for pregnant women or people with back problems
Kayaking to Rangitoto requires a moderate degree of fitness and there is some walking
Following the end of Daylight saving all Rangitoto sunset tours tours meet at 3pm.
*PLEASE READ FAQS BELOW*
Rangitoto Island Kayaking Tour
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
What is the minimum age for this tour?
Minimum age for this tour is 16 years
Is food provided?
Please bring with you at least two bottles of water and food to sustain you for the hike and return kayak trip eg sandwiches or pasta and possibly nutrition bars.
What should I wear?
Clothing suitable for kayaking is required, including shorts, t-shirt, warm top,
leggings (particularly in winter). Please do not wear denim, long pants (not
even rolled up) or ¾ pants.
- There are certain inherent and unavoidable risks associated with sea kayaking and there is the possibility of personal injury to you or others and there is also the possibility of loss or damage to property belonging to you or others
- You must be physically and mentally capable of carrying out the activities and that you do not suffer from any medical conditions which may be aggravated by undertaking the activities and that you have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical person. You must not be taking any medication that may adversely affect your ability to safely carry out the activities
- You consent to receive medical treatment in the case of injury or illness during the activity and agree to indemnify the supplier against any claims in respect of that treatment.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellations 7 days or more before departure: no fee
- Cancellations between 6 and 3 days of departure: 50% of the total cost
- Cancellations within 2 days of departure: 100% of the cost
- Please note: all kayak tours are subject to favourable weather and sea conditions. If a tour is cancelled due to poor weather or sea conditions, you will be given the option of an alternative tour date or full refund.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions