- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 2-hr cruise along Milford Sound, with frequent stops at spectacular points of interest
- Great photo opportunities as you get closer to waterfalls & wildlife
- Tea & coffee are served onboard
- Interactive & informative commentary from the Skipper
- Departs from the meeting point at Milford Sound Visitor Terminal, State Highway 94, Milford Sound
Milford Sound Cruise – Self DriveTake a 2 hr cruise on Milford Sound onboard a custom built boat designed for an immersive viewing experience.
- Lunch – BYO is recommended as there is nowhere to purchase lunch at Milford Sound
- Transfers to and from the cruise
What to Expect
This small group cruise offers the most intimate wildlife and scenery experience, with custom-built boats designed for an immersive viewing experience.
Sit back and relax as your cruise departs from Milford Sound Wharf and makes its way past the iconic Mitre Peak. Cruise the length of the 16km fiord, out past St Annes Point Lighthouse, while listening to informative commentary from your skipper, who will highlight points of interest along the way. These include the mighty Lady Bowen Falls, Lion Mountain, Copper Point, Seal Rock and Stirling Falls.
You'll go further and get closer than any other operator in Milford Sound. The boats are purpose-built for navigating near the shoreline to get you as close as possible to your incredible surroundings.
Whether you choose to keep warm with a cup of tea or coffee seated inside the lounge or want to get outside and breathe in the pristine alpine air, you are going to be inspired by the majesty of the region.
This cruise has strictly limited passenger numbers, rewarding you with an intimate experience of Milford Sound while allowing for unobstructed photo opportunities from the outdoor viewing decks.
Be sure to keep an eye out for seals basking in the sun, pods of dolphins or rare Fiordland Crested Penguins that can be found seasonally within the region.
Where we Visit:
- Milford Sound
- Mitre Peak
- Lady Bowen Falls
- Sinbad Gully
- Mount Pembroke
- Lion Mountain
- Copper Point
- Seal Rock
- Stirling Falls
8:50am (1st Oct-31st May)
11:10am (All Year)
1.30pm (All Year)
3:55pm (1st Oct-30th April)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Warm Clothing
- Waterproof Jacket
- Water bottle & lunch (complimentary tea & coffee is provided)
- Insect Repellent
The wildlife you may spot will depend on the time of year you visit and how friendly the wildlife are feeling on the day. You will see New Zealand fur seals lazing on the rocks, and if you’re lucky enough, you might spot dolphins or the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin.
There are toilets located at the back of the boat on either side.
It is a magical paradise when it does rain, as the cliff faces come to life with thousands of waterfalls. Come prepared with a raincoat and warm clothes, and you will enjoy the show nature puts on for you.
Please allow a minimum of 4 hours to drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound. The Operator would also recommend that you allow a minimum of 2 hours to drive from Te Anau. However, there are several scenic viewpoints along the way, and to make the most of your experience, it is well worth allowing extra time on top of this for you to stop and see them.
Due to the changeable nature of the conditions in Fiordland, Milford Road can be closed at any time throughout the year. Should the roads close, The Operator is happy to transfer you to another departure or refund the cost of your cruise, depending on the circumstances.
There are multiple parking options:
- Free parking at Deepwater Basin (40-minute nature walk)
- Paid parking 10 minutes from the terminal
- Disability parking outside of the visitor terminal (As long as you can display a badge)
Children: 4-14 years inclusive pay child price. Children under 4 years are free of charge (FOC). Children under 4 years are FOC on flight if they sit on adult’s lap if less than 11kgs. Children over 11kgs will be charged at 50% of adult retail rate
It's advised that you check the Milford Sound Road status prior to your drive, as this can periodically close in the winter months. Please click on the following link for the latest updates - https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/sh94-milford-road/sh94-milford-road-status/
- The Operator reserves the right to amend timetables and cancel cruise departures at any time for safety or operational reasons. The Operator has the right to cancel any cruise at any time due to unsafe weather conditions or change the cruise route at the captain's discretion
- Minimum numbers are required for the tour to go ahead
Cancellations and changes permitted for bookings up to 48 hours prior to departure at no charge, subject to availability.
Any changes to bookings made within 48 hours will be subject to space availability and may incur a cancellation fee of up to 100%.
Cancellations of bookings made within 48 hours will be charged 100% of the booking or nil refund.
Reviews for Milford Sound Cruise – Self Drive
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely