- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- A self-guided cycling tour with a full or half-day option to suit your itinerary & needs
- Standard or e-bike hire, plus all gear, including helmet, lock, pannier bag, & map
- Departs from the meeting point at 9 Nelson Quay, Ahuriri, Napier
- Lunch or purchases along the way
- Wine-tasting fees
What to Expect
This is a very diverse, flexible and scenic tour that can be adapted to suit how far you want to ride and what you want to see. It's a great family-friendly option with many features, including wineries, estuary trails, Art Deco buildings and coastal pathways.
Departing the port village of Ahuriri, you'll cycle around the port to Napier city, a world-renowned Art Deco treasure. Spend some time enjoying the Art Deco city before following the coastal pathway with spectacular views across the Pacific to Cape Kidnappers.
Turn inland and follow the Tutaekuri River trail, overlooking orchards to the suburb of Taradale. Add on the Puketapu Loop, which takes you a further 16km around the river.
Then, visit two of the region's finest wineries, Church Road and the Mission Estate, before cycling on to the Ahuriri Estuary trail to see many native birds and wetlands.
If you want, you can also include a detour to Bayview, where you will find the relaxed Crab Farm Winery. Then, finish off back in Ahuriri with a visit to Urban Winery or one of many restaurants and bars in this relaxed coastal village.
For the full day, allow six hours, and you will need to start your ride by 11:00 am. Then for the half-day option, allow three hours, and you will need to start your ride by 1:00 pm.
Where we Visit:
- Napier City
- Church Road Winery
- Mission Estate Winery
- Crab Farm Winery
Frequently Asked Questions
You are the leader. The staff provide all the information (maps and riding instructions) you need, but you’re in charge! Self-guided tours offer flexibility but with the reassurance of support, just a phone call away.
There is FREE parking in Ahuriri and plenty of it.
The trails are flat and easy!
If you are on a multiday tour to get maximum enjoyment from your cycling experience, you should have a moderate fitness level. Cycling times range from two to six hours, with options available for those who want more or less time on the bike.
The Operator provides you with detailed daily instructions for your cycling trail as well as local maps. These will be printed so you can carry them with you as well as on Google Maps which they will provide a link for.
Sunblock, cell phone for emergencies, rain jacket, swimming togs (if you want to take a dip in one of the rivers en route), plenty of water and your wallet (for those bottles of wine!) should be all you need.
Bike panniers are available for those who would like them fitted to their bike. Panniers are generally large enough for a couple’s daily requirements, but some people may prefer to use their own day pack.
There are many options for lunches along the trails, and this is something that cyclists love to explore. The various cafes and wineries offer everything from platters to full restaurants suiting every budget. Let the staff know if you would like them to book a restaurant for your lunch stop.
Hawke’s Bay is home to many outstanding and popular restaurants. A full list of ‘dining out’ recommendations will be provided to you.
The Operator offers a free mechanical backup service and will provide you with a local phone number to call if you break down. Depending on where you are, some wait time is to be expected. In the event of a puncture, full puncture repair kits are provided. Repairing the puncture yourself is often your quickest and easiest option; however, they are happy to help if that is your preference.
- The minimum age to taste wine is 18 years
- The customer agrees to:
- the care and safekeeping of all equipment hired from The Operator for the duration of the hire. If damage is deemed to be beyond general wear and tear and more customer neglect, you will be contacted and invoiced to cover the cost to return the bike and all extra equipment to the order in which you initially received it
- accept full responsibility for personal medical suitability to take part in this cycle tour and have declared any medical information important that is relevant
- adhere to the NZ road code at all times, including ensuring that any under 15 years cyclists follow these rules too
- Please note that e-bikes can not be transported in or on your car. Please talk to The Operator about transport options should they be required
- After booking confirmation is confirmed, if the tour is cancelled 48 hours or less before departure 100% of your tour cost is lost, except in exceptional circumstances (up to the discretion of the tour operator)
- Please talk to The Operator if you think the weather is not looking good; they may be able to offer alternatives however if it's really bad they will refund your payment 100%. The decision will be made on the day of the booking before 9:00 am
Reviews for Ahuriri Napier Loop Cycling Tour
Get Instant Confirmation