- Choice of one-way or return shuttle
- Pick up from accommodation in Taupo and Turangi
- Comfortable and clean bus
- On time departures
- Hire gear available on the bus (return shuttles only)
Please note this is transport only. You are required to bring hiking equipment, food and water needed. For return journeys only there is hire gear available on the bus.
Why Do We Love This
We love that these guys make conquering the Tongariro Crossing SO easy. With transport organised, all you need to focus on is the spectacular walk!
What to Expect
Often described as New Zealand's greatest day walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is an unforgettable journey. It's a challenging hike across a remarkable volcanic landscape, with lava flows, steam vents, emerald-coloured lakes, an active crater, magnificent views to take in along the way.
19.4 km long, the track takes around 6-8 hours to complete. You can complete the walk from two directions, one starting at Mangatepopo car park and ending at Ketetahi, and the other starting at Ketetahi and ending at Mangatepopo car park. For less climbing, start from Mangatepopo car park.
Your route will wind up the Mangatepopo Valley to the saddle between Tongariro and Ngauruhoe, then climb to the Red Crater (1886m), before dropping down to the vivid Emerald Lakes. After passing the Blue Lake, the track descends around the northern slope of Tongariro, then descends further in a zig-zag to the Ketetahi Hut. From the hut, the track continues down the mountain through tussock plains, then into the native forest to the end of the track.
You can conquer the whole crossing in a day or spend 2-3 days completing the whole Tongariro Northern Circuit (43.1 km loop).
Because the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a one-way track, you will need some sort of transport to either pick you up at the end. That's where Tongariro Expeditions comes in! Choose from a one-way or return shuttle that suits your needs. Shuttle rides are available from most accommodation in Taupo and Turangi. For those staying in Whakapapa, National Park Villages or Ohakune, the closest pickup point is Tongariro expeditions Base Camp.
Please be aware that different situations may cause a change in pick up times. You must call the day before you are scheduled to go to check the weather and the pickup times. Wait outside your pick up location at least 10 minutes before pick up time so that you don't miss the bus. If you are not picked up on time call Tongariro Expeditions straight away. Waiting even 5 minutes after your scheduled pickup time is too late.
For return shuttle options only, there is hire gear available on the bus if you do not have what you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
You must have your lunch and water organised before you come as there is nowhere to buy food or water on or around the track.
Bring hiking gear (if you have it), otherwise, it can be hired (on return shuttles ONLY).
As with any alpine environment, the weather can change suddenly and conditions can become extreme.
To ensure your safety please be prepared for any type of weather and make sure you have the most up-to-date weather report.
This update should be refreshed by 10.00 am each day. If it is not please call to let us know.
- You have booked a date and pick up location only. You MUST call the day before to select your pick up time from those available on the day and to confirm pick up point eg accommodation.
- Please prepare yourself for conditions on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing adequately.
- For return shuttle options only, there is hire gear available on the bus if you do not have what you need.
- In summer only, we offer a 100% refund jackets that are returned unused.
- Please be waiting outside on the road side at least ten minutes before the bus is due so that you do not miss the bus.
- If you miss the bus there is no refund.
- Cancellations made within 7 days of tour date incur a 100% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations made with more than 7 days notice incur an administration charge of 30% of total booking fee.
- If we need to cancel due to poor or unsafe weather conditions on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, we offer a transfer on your ticket to another day that suits you or a full refund.
- For amendments of bookings, additional charges, or a refund, charges may apply depending on the nature of the booking amendment.
- No refunds or credits will be provided if you fail to advise any amendments to the booking or fail to report at the venue of the operator with the appropriate vouchers issued for that booking on the day and/or time booked.
- If you miss the bus there is no refund.
Reviews for Tongariro Crossing Shuttle - Return & One Way
Get Instant Confirmation