- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- Enjoy a 6-hour cruise of the wondrous wetlands of the Coorong
- Cruise from the port of Goolwa along the historic wharf and towards the Goolwa Barrage
- VIsit Ngarrindjeri occupation/cultural site and Indigenous Midden cultural site
- Dig for clams with the group
- Take in the beautiful scenery and wildlife
- Expert commentary to learn along the way
- Lunch & snack
What to Expect
Goolwa is a historic river port on the Murray River near the Murray Mouth in South Australia. The name "Goolwa" is the Aboriginal word for "elbow" as the area was known as "The Elbow" to the early settlers. On this adventure tour, you'll cruise downstream from the port of Goolwa along the historic wharf and towards the Goolwa Barrage. The tour travels through the lock chambers, making its way down to sea level, and will most likely spot native fur-seals along the way.
The tour continues along the waterways of the Coorong, following the last kilometres of the mighty Murray River to the Murray Mouth and its opening to the Southern Ocean. The boat will cruise past the Murray Mouth and into Storm Boy country, passing by the quaint fishing village of the Coorong Shacks before pulling up onto the beach. Here you'll have the option for a guided walk through the dunes, Indigenous Midden cultural site, rich cultural interpretation, and bush-tucker trail to the infamous 90-Mile Beach and the roaring Southern Ocean.
During the tour, you'll learn the 'Coorong Shuffle' and dig for pipis (clams) on the beach before returning back to the vessel. While you're digging for clams, the skipper will prepare a pipi recipe for the tour to taste before continuing on your way. Next, you'll cruise past Storm Boy filming sites, towering dunes, and enjoy a delicious lunch on-board.
The second land stop on the tour provides the opportunity for another guided stroll onto spectacular sand dunes and a significant Ngarrindjeri occupation/cultural site. Enjoy a well deserved afternoon tea upon return to the vessel and quietly meander back along the stunning Coorong back to our home port of Goolwa.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Comfortable walking shoes, hat, sunscreen, jacket, camera, binoculars (if you have them and want to maximise viewing of birdlife), extra drinks (if you would like).
- The tour reserves the right to cancel or alter cruises at their discretion due to water levels, lock access, weather conditions, or other operating conditions. We must know the number of all passengers on board, therefore please include all passengers in your booking, including "Child Under 2" for which there is no charge.
- Please note, meals are not included for children under the age of 2. If your child is under the age of 2, and you would like a meal for the child, you will need to book and pay for a "Child (2-15 years)" Ticket.
- The tour requires all passengers to be sufficiently mobile to negotiate stairs and generally move about the vessel. As the cruise is in protected waters, motion sickness tablets are not normally required.
- Please arrive 15-20 mins prior to departure time. There is plenty of free car parking available at the Goolwa Wharf.
- All staff has been trained in Covid-Safe practices. With Covid guidelines, we recommend making contact-less tour payment (online booking/payment)., Downloading the Government Covid Safe Application/QR check-in, maintaining social distancing before, during & post-tour, using good hand hygiene.
The tour's cruises can be full or not have enough availability. Bookings are essential to avoid disappointment. Cancellation policy/fees apply. The tour reserves the right to charge the following fees for cancellations:
- Cancellations within 24 hours of a cruise = 100% of the ticket price
- Cancellations within 48 hours of a cruise = 50% of the ticket price
- Cancellations beyond 48 hours of a cruise = No fee
Reviews for Coorong Adventure Cruise Along Murray River
Get Instant Confirmation