- Join a leisure snorkel tour in Byron Bay!
- Swim with sea turtles, manta rays, and tropical fish
- Full equipment hire (fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit)
- Free snorkel lesson in a heated training pool
- Optional camera hire
- Boat ride to Julian Rocks
- Snorkel guide for the duration of your tour
- Transport to and from the dive store to the launch site
Snorkel Tour Of Julian Rocks Marine Reserve
Snorkel with turtles, manta rays, and tropical fish!
WHAT TO EXPECT
If diving is not your thing then join a daily snorkelling trip to Julian Rocks. Enjoy the diversity and colour found in the reserve’s clear shallow waters. A snorkel trip to Julian Rocks Marine Reserve includes the boat ride, equipment hire (mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit), and a free snorkel lesson (if required).
On this snorkel tour, you'll spot friendly sea turtles, wobbegong sharks, graceful rays, and an abundance of colourful fish in the waters of Byron Bay. This snorkel site combines marine life found in the deep Southern Ocean as well as that found in the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef! Julian Rocks is a snorkel site you do not want to miss. Create memories that will last a lifetime and don’t forget your camera!
Whilst snorkelling you are supervised by qualified dive staff who will ensure you get the most from your trip to Julian Rocks Marine Reserve. Upon your return to the dive shop, you can have a hot shower before the dive crew helps you identify the creatures you saw. Please note that all snorkel participants must be able to swim (minimum age of 5 years) and be comfortable in the water.
Snorkel Tour Of Julian Rocks Marine Reserve
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Adult (Starting June 9th, 2020):
What should I bring?
- Underwater camera (optional)
- You are welcome to bring any equipment of your own
What if I've never snorkelled before?
The tour offers a free snorkel lesson in an on-site heated training pool for anyone that has not snorkelled before. This lesson starts 30 minutes prior to your tour check-in time and is required for anyone without any snorkelling experience.
How long is the tour and how much time do I get in the water?
The tour takes 2.5-3 hours from start to finish, with 1 hour in the water snorkelling. The time before the snorkelling is made up of completing paperwork, a snorkel tour briefing, equipment gear-up, bus ride to the beach and boat ride to the snorkel site. The time after the snorkelling consists of the boat ride back to the beach and bus ride back to the dive centre where there are hot showers and changing areas.
Do I need to wear a wetsuit?
Yes, the tour requires all participants to wear a wetsuit for the duration of the snorkel tour. They have a range of different sizes in both long (5mm thick) and short (5mm thick) varieties.
I wear contact lens/glasses, does the tour have prescription masks?
Yes, the tour has a range of prescription masks for prescriptions ranging from -2 to -6. Unfortunately, they do not have masks with + prescriptions, however, you are able to wear contact lenses with standard masks.
What's the best time of year to see the turtles?
Sea turtles that are resident to Julian Rocks can be seen all year around! There is no time of the day when they are more active, and the tour commonly has sightings on all our tour times. The tour cannot 100% guarantee a turtle sighting, but it is very unlikely to not see one!
Where should I meet for the tour?
9 Marvell Street, Byron Bay.
What kind of conditions would the tour be cancelled in?
Unfortunately, there is no one type of weather or sea condition that would result in cancellations. The safety and operations of the tour is based on a mixture of variables which include; swell height and direction, wind speed and direction, current strength at Julian Rocks and the probability of thunderstorms.
What's the water temperature at Julian Rocks?
The average water temperature at Julian Rocks in the summer months is between 22°C to 27°C and in the winter months, it is between 18°C to 23°C.
How many passengers does the vessel accomodate?
Each vessel can accommodate a maximum of 13 passengers, this will be a mixture of crew and customers depending on the type of activities running.
- Please note that this tour operates on NSW daylight savings time (between October to April each year we are 1 hour ahead of Queensland).
- Please arrive on time at the scheduled check-in time noted above (under the booking reference number), if you arrive after the scheduled meeting time then you may miss your tour, unfortunately, no refunds or reschedules can be given. Please allow additional travelling time for traffic when travelling as Byron Bay can be very busy.
- The tour offers free snorkel lessons in our on-site heated pool to those of you without a lot of experience or wanting to get acquainted with the equipment before heading out to Julian Rocks. These lessons start 30 minutes prior to the meeting time, please advise if you would like to book in.
- Please note, all customers with no prior snorkelling experience will be required to complete the snorkel lesson prior to the tour commencing. Failure to arrive 30 minutes before the tour for this lesson will result in you not being able to participate, no refund will be given.
- Please note, that all snorkel tour participants must be able to swim and be comfortable in the water.
- Please let the tour know if you have any medical conditions or have had any recent medical procedures that they need to be aware of that can be affected by strenuous physical activity e.g. asthma, heart conditions, lung disorders, COVID-19.
- If you would like to hire an underwater camera for your tour please arrive 10 minutes prior to your arrival time to organise this (please note camera hires are subject to availability and require a credit card).
- Parking in Byron Bay town centre is now paid ($4.00 per hour), there is a four-hour car park directly behind the dive centre and all day parking on Marvell Street.
- The tour has a 48 hour cancellation policy. This means that if you need to cancel or reschedule your booking for any reason, we need to know 48 hours before the activity is due to commence. If a cancellation or reschedule is made after that time, the tour charges a 100% cancellation fee. If this is a problem, please contact us immediately.
- Please note that all tours are subject to suitable sea and weather conditions, in the event of a cancellation due to unsuitable conditions the tour will give you as much notice as possible.