- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full-day small-group nature tour to discover the unique landscapes of Tasmania's deep south
- Admission to Hastings Caves & Thermal Springs, with the opportunity to take a dip in the warm spring waters
- Admission to Tahune Adventures, including access to the Airwalk & forest walks
- Transport onboard a climate-controlled minivan, with the services of a knowledgeable local driver and tour guide
- Departs from the meeting point at 20 Davey St, Hobart
- Cider tasting
- Optional activities at Tahune Adventures
What to Expect
This full-day adventure takes you deep into the south of Tasmania so you can explore the highlights of this stunning region, including Hastings Caves, Tahune Adventures and Willie Smith's Apple Shed.
Leaving Hobart, you'll quickly descend into the beautiful Huon Valley as the group embarks on a 2 hr drive. Travel through the beautiful winding roads of the Deep South on the way to the first destination, Hastings Caves.
Head underground with a specialist guide to explore the largest dolomite cave open to visitors in Australia. See spectacular stalactites, columns, shawls and stalagmites. The cave is spacious with no narrow passages; however, there are 250 stairs with handrails leading in and out of the cave.
Feeling chilly from the cave experience? Warm up in the nearby swimming pool fed by thermal springs. The water is 28 degrees Celsius all year, so bring your towel and bathers!
Next, explore more of the Huon Valley as you wind through the countryside toward Tahune Adventures. Along the way, stop at the historic Kermandie Hotel. Built in 1932, the charming Kermandie remains the heart of Port Huon. Here you can enjoy a delicious lunch (not included) with spectacular views over its private marina on the Huon River.
After lunch, venture into the forest at Tahune, where you will spend two hours exploring. Walk among the treetops on the Airwalk – a steel canopy that overlooks the forest floor 50 metres below. Breathe deeply as you do a forest walk and be brave as you cross the river on a swinging bridge.
Follow the Huon Pine Trail to see and smell one of Australia's oldest living trees. Find out how fire has affected the forest and see first-hand the natural regeneration that occurs in a forest environment.
There's an optional extra for the thrill-seekers to take on the Cable Eagle Hang Glider. Be whisked 250 metres across the Huon River at speeds of up to 40 km per hour.
During the longer days of summer, the last stop back to Hobart is at the infamous Willie Smith's Apple Shed. This rustic barn houses a cidery and restaurant alongside an apple museum. Sip on a tasting paddle (not included) as you learn about the Huon Valley's history of apple growing.
Where we Visit:
- Huon Valley
- Hastings Caves & Thermal Pool
- Kermandie Hotel
- Tahune Adventures, including Airwalk
- Willie Smith's Apple Shed (seasonal)
Frequently Asked Questions
More important than age is attitude. The Operator has found over the years that if you have a curious temperament and a thirst for adventure, then age is no barrier for any of the tours. However, they ask that children please be accompanied by an adult.
In Tasmania, you can experience four seasons in one day. The east coast is often dry while the west coast is wet. Wear layers. The sun can get hot, but once it goes down, the cool can set in fast. The Operator recommends you bring a sunhat (and beanie), sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes and a waterproof jacket. Also bring swimmers and a towel if you want to take a dip in the thermal pools.
There is minimal walking on this tour, however, The Operator recommends that if you have serious medical conditions you call them first to discuss.
Due to the physical nature and inclusion of stairs on this tour, it's not suitable for people with significant mobility issues.
The vehicles are conveniently equipped to carry collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark.
- The Operator highly recommends all passengers have travel insurance for the duration of the tour
- Due to limited luggage restrictions on buses, pushers and prams are not permitted on some tours
- It’s important that you declare any pre-existing medical conditions when you book the tour with us
- All our tours are run by a trip leader and it is imperative that passengers listen to their guide’s instructions in order to stay safe. If you fail to respect the decision of your guide and/or fail to follow their instructions, disrupt the group or affect the mobility of the group, your guide can remove you from the tour effective immediately, with no right of a refund
- You can cancel your tour booking outside 7 days prior to the scheduled departure and receive a full refund less a 2% booking fee
- The Operator is unable to guarantee refunds for tours cancelled by you within 7 days of your departure date
- Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre
Reviews for Hastings Caves, Tahune & Huon Valley Tour
Get Instant Confirmation