- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 2 tank double dive on this Ex-HMAS Brisbane dive site
- A dive guide with group sizes of approximately 6 divers per guide
- Snacks & water between your dives
- Departs from the meeting point at Shop 11 – 12, The Wharf Mooloolaba, 123 Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba QLD
Ex-HMAS Brisbane Double DiveExplore the lively underwater world that now lives in the Ex-HMAS Brisbane with this thrilling double dive.
- Equipment hire
What to Expect
Dive one of the world's best wreck sites, the Ex-HMAS Brisbane. Located less than 3 miles offshore, this decommissioned guided-missile destroyer now serves as an artificial reef and home to many marine animals.
When you arrive, visit the crew at the check-in desk to show your diver certification card and ensure that your gear is organized. If you bring your own gear, the crew can carry it down to the dock where you can set it up. If you pre-book hire gear, everything will be organized for you prior to check-in.
On departure to the Ex-HMAS Brisbane, the trained crew will provide a thorough briefing for all divers about the site and answer any questions about it. Once the boat exits the calm waters of the Mooloolaba River system, it is around a 15-minute ride to the site. The vessel will be moored and the crew will help you set up to get in the water.
Each dive is planned to last for either 50 minutes or will end to have you on the surface with 50 bar (whichever one comes first).
Every dive is different depending on the conditions that day and time. Usually, the first dive will explore the length and outside of the Ex-HMAS Brisbane. The second dive will discover the depths and inside of the vessel.
Between dives, you will come up for a surface interval where you are provided snacks and water. Feel free to bring along your own snacks if you have allergies or would like more substantial food.
The Ex-HMAS Brisbane dive site
Ex-HMAS Brisbane, a decommissioned guided-missile destroyer is located just 2.9 nautical miles offshore, making it an easy venture out and is available to dive all year round. Sitting bolt upright, the Ex-HMAS Brisbane has 15 metres of water over her forward decks and 18 metres over her stern. Consistently good water clarity and minimal swell make for excellent diving.
Explore outside the wreck and encounter an abundance of local aquatic sea life that inhabits her. Discover the depths of her hull, enter the engine room or even visit the control room where her kill switches are still intact.
Local inhabitants include a large bull & eagle rays,angler fish, lionfish, blennies, nudibranchs, sea hares, squid and a school of juvenile red emperor and snapper. Other visitors include shovelled nose rays, greasy cod and eagle rays. An octopus has made a home in a pyrotechnic tube on the deck, while a resident school of predatory yellow-tailed kingfish now 'buzz' the schools of bait fish surrounding the Ex-HMAS Brisbane. Up to 10 huge Queensland grouper have been seen at one time off the bow of the ship. A turtle has taken up residency on the aft funnel, and eagle rays cruise between the two funnels.
There's also a considerable amount of soft corals to be seen, and hard corals are really getting established as well.
Water temperatures range from 17C in winter to a summer high of 27C. Visibility averages around 15 metres, but up to 20 metres or more is not uncommon.
After your dives are complete, the vessel will return to the shop, where the crew will unload and wash all your gear for you if you so wish.
Where we Visit:
- Mooloolaba River
- Ex-HMAS Brisbane Dive Site
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, and you will need to provide your certification card on check-in.
This is in open water and the crew suggests you consider seasickness tablets to minimize the risk of seasickness affecting your trip. There will not be any rebookings or refunds for being seasick.
The Wharf complex has 4-hour parking available, however, you will need to find suitable parking for the tour you are on as some of the trips will be over 4 hours. There are some unlimited parking spaces available outside of The Wharf Mooloolaba / SEA Life car park, however, please keep in mind especially if you are on an 11:30 am or later trip that parking can get very busy. Please give yourself at least 15-20 minutes for parking. You can find a parking map of The Wharf Mooloolaba here.
- Boarding is 30 minutes before the departure time
- The minimum age is 12 years, however, children 12 to 15 years must be accompanied by an adult or hire a private guide. The minimum age to dive without supervision is 15 years
- Each diver must complete a Diver Statement before diving. If you answer "yes" to taking medication (other than contraception and malaria medication), having an injury or illness that may affect your ability to dive, you will need doctors clearance before diving
- If you have not dived in the last 2 years or more you will be required to complete either a Scuba Review/Refresher Course or a Reactivate Course before you can participate in any diving activities
- All first-time divers on the Ex-HMAS Brisbane, regardless of qualification or skill level, must have a familiarisation dive with a guide for their first dive
- This tour requires a minimum number of divers to go-ahead
- Guests must provide at least 72 hours notice should you need to cancel or transfer your booking. Failure to do so will incur a cancellation fee equal to your charter fee
- If cancelled or transferred within 24 hours, full payment is forfeited
Reviews for Ex-HMAS Brisbane Double Dive
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely