- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- 2-hour scenic whale-watching cruise along the beautiful Newcastle coastline to see humpback whales in their natural environment
- Professional & experienced crew sharing local knowledge of the coastline
- If whales are not spotted on a designated whale watch tour, we offer a free return trip (T&Cs apply).
- CoastXP is an accredited quality and sustainable tourism business
- Departs from the meeting point at Harbour Square Boat Dock, Honeysuckle Drive, Newcastle
Newcastle Whale Encounter TourEnjoy the incredible opportunity to see humpback whales on their annual migration along the spectacular Newcastle coastline.
What to Expect
Join an immersive nature experience cruising along the spectacular Newcastle coastline to meet the region's most majestic and inquisitive visitors. Soak up the natural landscape as you get up close and personal with humpback whales on their annual migration from June to November.
Humpback whale numbers have been increasing at a rate of over 10% year on year, with more than 35,000 individual whales passing the Newcastle coast each year. Adult Humpback Whales can grow between 14–18 metres long and can weigh up to 50 tonnes, while their calves are born at 2 tonnes. Seeing these friendly giants of the sea up close is an awe-inspiring sight that is impossible to describe.
Board your unforgettable 2-hour cruise from Harbour Square Boat Dock on a comfortable eco-tourism vessel providing unobstructed 360-degree views so you don't miss any of the action. Humpback whales are some of the most inquisitive and interactive species out of all marine mammals, and will often put on a show for the crowd with breaches, tail lobs and pectoral slaps.
Your cruise is much more than just a whale watching experience, in addition to showcasing the whales, each tour also focuses on the highlights of the Newcastle coastline with the added chance ofencountering dolphins and New Zealand fur seals. You will get to take home complimentary high-quality digital images of your nature experience so that you can share them with friends and family back home.
Where We Visit
- Newcastle & Hunter Coast
Frequently Asked Questions
Our boat tours are perfect for kids over 3 years old, we even offer discounts for children under 12. Unfortunately, we cannot accept children under the age of 3.
We operate in the natural environment, which can be subject to change. If the LIVE weather conditions are different to what is forecast, we may choose to postpone or cancel your tour. If this happens, bookings can be rescheduled (subject to availability) or refunded. If there is light rain on the day, the tour will still run.
You should dress for the conditions on the day. Make sure to wear enclosed shoes, and warm clothes (particularly in winter).
Our crew will provide you with premium weatherproof jackets (should you need them), ensuring your tour is both enjoyable and comfortable.
Harbour Square Boat Dock is wheelchair and walker accessible, although there is a 40-50cm step down into and out of the boat. If you have special requirements with boarding or disembarking, please get in contact with us, and we would be more than happy to help.
We have an extremely high success rate of seeing humpback whales during peak season. While we don’t specifically guarantee you will see whales (as they are wild marine mammals), if whales are not spotted on a designated whale watch tour, we offer a free return trip (t’s and c’s apply).
- Passengers must arrive at the designated departure point 15 minutes prior to departure
- All children (16 years & under) must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 3 years
- Passengers with any medical condition, injury, potential health risk or who are pregnant must advise The Operator prior to cruise departure. It is recommended that these passengers do not travel on our vessels & if so, travel at their own risk
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel, change or adapt any tour it sees fit allowing for weather, safety or equipment concerns
- Any booking cancelled within 48 hours of departure, or no attendance on the day will not receive a refund
- Bookings cancelled outside the 48 hours will receive a full refund
- Rescheduling of a booking is permitted up to 48 hours from the designated departure time
- If you are concerned about the weather, please contact the operator direct
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely