- Free pick-up and drop-off at all Auckland CBD hotels
- Local knowledgeable & experienced guides
- Personalised small group tours (maximum of 11 people)
- Visit two of New Zealand’s most famous attractions - Hobbiton Movie Set at Matamata & Waitomo Glow Worm Caves
- A 2 hour tour of The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Movie Set with an expert tour guide
- A 45 minutes of Waitomo Caves tour including a boat ride under thousands of magical glowworms
- Remarkable stalactites and stalagmites
- Thousands of tiny glowworms during your guided tour of the famous Waitomo Caves
- Delicious “Kiwi” style picnic lunch
Hobbiton Movie Set & Waitomo Caves Tour from Auckland - Full Day
See two of New Zealand’s most famous attractions - The Lord of the Rings (Hobbiton Movie Set) and the Waitomo Glowworm Caves in one day.
Buy as a Gift
- Souvenirs or gifts
- Snacks or drinks
- Tip for your guide
Why do we love this
"We love it because you get a glass of Hobbit cider - brewed nowhere else in the world!"
WHAT TO EXPECT
Be fascinated by the magical world of Hobbiton comes to life and see and take photos in front of your favourite places like the Hobbit holes, the Shire, the Green Dragon Inn. Be captivated by the thousands of magical glowworms as you glide silently by boat in the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves. All admission fees are included as well as a “kiwi-style” picnic lunch.
About Lord Of The Rings Movie Set (Hobbiton)
Join us on this intimate tour as we travel across the Shire from the Lord of the Rings. Listen to your guide tell you filming secrets behind the movie, like how did they make Gandalf look so big? See if you can spot any Hobbits peeking out of the windows and make sure you get a selfie in front of the famous green door.
After all of that exploring it's time to recharge your batteries, so grab a glass of Hobbit cider from the Green Dragon Inn and don't forget to pinch yourself because you're in the Shire!
On our return to Auckland will take you through some of New Zealand's most beautiful countryside, including the majestic Waikato River (longest river in New Zealand), Ngaruawahia (home of the Maori King) and Taupiri (a sacred Maori burial ground).
All that's left to do is watch the trilogy!
About Waitomo Caves
The world-renowned Waitomo Glowworm Caves are a magnet for travellers around the world. The glow worm, or 'Arachnocampa luminosa', can only be found in New Zealand. Admire thousands of these tiny creatures radiating their luminescent light. Our expert guides provide informative commentary on the historical and geological significance of the caves.The Waitomo Glowworm Caves are a must-see for any traveller. Enjoy this world-famous boat ride under thousands of magical glowworms and absorb over 120 years of natural and cultural history.
The Waitomo Caves
The green hills of Waitomo cover a labyrinth of caves and underground rivers. The name Waitomo comes from the Maori words wai (water) and tomo (hole). The caves were created over thousands of years by underground streams pushing through soft limestone. They boast stunning stalactites growing down from the ceiling and stalagmites growing up from the cave floor. You will also find pointy cones with different layers of rock created over centuries by dripping water. The cave walls are also home to a wonderful galaxy of glow worms. The easiest way to admire the caves is with a walking or boat tour.
The boat ride
Admire some of Mother Nature's tiniest lights as you glide through the shiny wonderland of the Glowworm Grotto. Wander underground alongside the Waitomo River. Gaze in silence at the wonder of glow worm lights that shine in the Glowworm Grotto. Enter this galaxy of tiny living lights and experience a serene ambience.
Two cave levels
There are two levels of the Waitomo Glowworm Caves. The levels are formed over 30 million years ago and are 16 metres apart. The dry upper level forms the entrance to the cave, and the formations known as the Catacombs, the Pipe Organ and the Banquet Chamber. The humid lower level is made out of stream passages and accommodates the Cathedral.
The Cathedral can be found on the humid lower level of the Waitomo Glowworm Caves. At 18 metres high, this is the largest cavern. Its enclosed shape and rough surface provide for superb acoustics which make the Cathedral world-renowned. The Cathedral has been the stage for many famous singers and choirs who have been delighted with the purity of the sound.
The Tomo is one of the many wonders of Waitomo. This 16-metres vertical limestone shaft gives way to an ancient waterfall which flows when it rains heavily. The dramatic vertical drop has been carefully lighted to reveal the natural-shaped walls and the layers of limestone. The Tomo was the last feature of the cave that has been formed. It links the upper level to the Waitomo River below.
Both will be an experience you'll never forget!
PLEASE READ FAQS BELOW
Hobbiton Movie Set & Waitomo Caves Tour from Auckland - Full Day
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Child (4 yrs to 7 yrs):
Infant (under 4 yrs):
What do I need to bring?
- Please check the weather and dress appropriately
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring a water bottle
Is there an age limit on this tour?
- Please let us know in the special instructions if your child is under 7 years old.
When does this tour run?
- Tours run daily in all weather conditions so please wear appropriate clothing.
What is the departure time and location?
- All tours include a free pick-up and drop-off from downtown (CBD) city accommodation. Or at the front entrance of Sky City Hotel. If you stay outside the city perimetre, please meet us at the entrance of Sky City Hotel. If you are driving your own vehicle, please meet us there too. The pickups are between 6 and 6.30 am depending on the number of accommodations.
FAQ about Waitomo Caves
- Bring comfortable walking shoes and a warm jacket
- The Waitomo Glowworm Caves are accessible to those with reasonable mobility, with good handrails and paths
- Please note: the Waitomo Glowworm Caves do not have wheelchair access
- Sorry, cameras and GoPro's can't be taken on this tour
Please note that the bookings for this tour are processed manually so there might be a slight delay in confirmation from the tour operator.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellations 7 days or more before departure: no fee
- Cancellations between 6 and 4 days of departure: 50% of the total cost
- Cancellations within 3 days of departure: 100% of the cost