- Get up to $20 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full-day small-group walking tour of Godley Head
- Stroll through Taylors Mistake Beach & watch surfers from Sumner Beach
- Visit a White Flippered Penguin colony
- A picnic lunch served a Godley Head, plus morning & afternoon tea
- The services of a passionate & friendly guide, so you can learn about the history of the region
- Transport to the start of the trail onboard a comfortable & airconditioned minibus
- Convenient return transfers from selected Christchurch CBD accommodation or a central meeting place (Canterbury Museum, Princess Margarate Hospital or Lyttleton Port)
Godley Head Guided Walking TourTake a guided walk along Godley Head, an exciting & wild place at the far end of the Port Hills with a rich history & incredible views.
What to Expect
Godley Head is an exciting and wild place at the far end of the Port Hills overlooking Lyttleton Harbour and Christchurch. On this unforgettable day tour, you can expect uninterrupted and spectacular views of LytteltonHarbour, Christchurch, and beyond. The area is rich in history and scattered with remnants of New Zealand's WW2 defences. This is a must-do location for anyone visiting Christchurch.
Driving east from Christchurch City, you'll pass through local suburbs and industrial areas before heading through New Zealand's second-longest road tunnel to Lyttelton, also known as "the gateway to Christchurch". This charming and historic port township is the South Islands' largest port. You will have time to look around this quirky little town before driving up the newly restored Gebbies Pass road.
A scenic lookout at the top of the pass gives impressive views of Lyttelton Harbour and the coastal suburb of Sumner, where you'll stop for morning tea. A short drive from Sumner is Taylors Mistake Beach, one of Christchurch's hidden gems. The walk starts and finishes here.
Leaving Taylors Mistake beach, head east on a well-established walking track that follows the rugged coastline above massive sea cliffs. If you're lucky, you might even spot a pod of dolphins or a rare White Flippered Penguin along the coast. A bit further on is the charming historical batches (small beach houses) nestled into the rocks at Boulder Bay.
Godley Head is a short steep walk up from Boulder Bay and a lovely spot for your picnic lunch. Scattered with WW2 remnants, including bunkers, gun emplacements, and old militarybuildings, it's a fascinating and very scenic place for a few photos.
After lunch, you will have some free time to explore the local area and visit some of the old buildings and WW2 defences. As the track departs Godley Head, there is an excellent photo opportunity at observation battery no. 2.
Leaving the Godley Head WW2 relics behind, you'll continue west along the tracks that overlook Lyttelton Harbour & Quail Island. Then, it's a relatively quick descent back down to the beach at Taylors Mistake and the awaiting vehicle.
On the drive back into Christchurch city, your guide will take an alternative route passing through the coastal suburbs of Sumner village & Redcliffs.
Where we Visit:
- Lyttelton Port
- Taylors Mistake Beach
- Sumner Beach
- Boulder Bay
- Godley Head
- Godley Head's WW2 defences
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, included in this tour is morning tea, lunch & afternoon tea.
The walk is approximately 8 kilometres (4.9 Mi) on well-formed tracks and takes most groups 3-4 hrs of walking.
- A tour may be cancelled by The Operator because of but not limited to the following reasons: Bad/un-suitable weather conditions, natural disasters, road closures, availability of staff, political or social unrest
- The Operator is not responsible for clients’ travel insurance
- The Operator is not responsible for clients’ medical insurance
- The Operator is not responsible for participants’ personal belongings at any time
Cancellation of a confirmed booking will incur the following fees:
- Cancellations made more than 14 days in advance will receive a 100% refund less the $50 non-refundable booking fee
- Cancellations made between 7-14 days prior to the scheduled tour date will receive an 80% refund less the $50 non-refundable booking fee
- Cancellations made more than 24 hrs in advance but less than 7 days before the scheduled tour date will receive a 50% refund less the $50 non-refundable booking fee
- Cancellations made with less than 24hrs notice are not provided with a refund
Postponements/transfers are at the discretion of The Operator, subject to availability of places on the requested tour date and the availability of staff.
- A transfer fee of $50 per participant will be applied.
- Transfer/postponement schedule:
- Postponements/transfers made more than 14 days in advance – Available
- Postponements/transfers made between 7-14 days prior to the scheduled tour date – Available upon request and approval by Adventure By Nature
- Postponements/transfers made more than 24hrs hrs in advance but less than 7 days before the scheduled tour date – Available by request and approval by The Operator for Day trips only
- Cancellations made with less than 24hrs notice are not provided with a refund – Unavailable
- Canterbury Museum (Christchurch City Center)
- Lyttleton Port (Shore Excursion pick-up)
- Princess Margaret Hospital (free all day parking)
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely