- Entry to the International Antarctic Centre
- Antarctic Museum
- Hägglund Rides
- Storm Room
- Husky Zone
- Little Blue Penguins
- HD Theatre
- 4D Theatre
- Any food, drinks or souvenirs
What to Expect
You don't have to travel all the way to Antarctica to experience the wonder of the region. Discover the beauty and mystery of the arctic right in Christchurch, New Zealand when you visit the International Antarctic Centre at Christchurch Airport.
This day pass provides access to all features at the International Antarctic Centre. You can ride a Hägglund, an all-terrain amphibious vehicle that's used to conquer the rough and icy terrain of the arctic and watch a short film about Antarctica in the 4D theatre or the HD theatre.
Spend some time feeding and interacting with koror? (little blue penguins), which are the smallest penguins in New Zealand. Then, head to the Husky Cuddle Zone to play with the sled dogs of the arctic.
You will also get access to the Storm Room, where you can experience firsthand what an average day feels like in the icy arctic. This indoor polar room is chilled to -8° Celsius and gets even chillier when it's hit by a very realistic -18° Celsius gust of wind that blows every hour via wind machine.
If that sounds too cold for you, don't worry. You will be provided with warm jackets and overshoes to keep you warm. After the Antarctic Storm, you can also take the ‘Polar Plunge Challenge’ and experience icy cold Antarctic water, if you dare.
If you get hungry while you're there, don't worry. There is an on-site cafe offering a range of tasty drinks and food items including options suitable for those with dietary requirements. You can also purchase a souvenir in the centre gift shop to remember your visit. (All purchases are at visitors' own expense.)
The International Antarctic Centre is open daily from 8 am - 5:30 pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! For visitors travelling to and from Christchurch airport or anyone with excess baggage, there are secure, coin-operated luggage lockers located outside the front of the centre. They come in a variety of sizes to accommodate a huge range of bag sizes. Charges for the lockers are $2.50 for up to 3 hours or $3.50 for up to 5 hours.
Also yes! If you’d appreciate a helpful voice to guide you around the Antarctic Centre we have a personalised commentary available on lightweight audio guides.
Audio Guide hire is $10 per unit, and they can be booked with your ticket. These guides are available in English, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Thai, German, French and Spanish and a special children’s tour is also available.
The great man himself, Sir Edmund Hillary, narrates the English language version. We can’t think of a better guide to show you the sights of the Antarctic.
- General admission tickets are valid for use on any day within 12 months of purchase.
- All attraction visitors accept responsibility for all personal items taken on any International Antarctic Centre experience and are personally liable for these items at all times.
- From time to time, the International Antarctic Centre or other authorised parties carry out photography and/or video recording in the Attraction, which may feature visitors. By accepting these Regulations, you agree that the International Antarctic Centre or any authorised party may use such images in perpetuity in any promotional, advertising or publicity material in any format whatsoever.
- In the event of a cancellation or amendment to your reservation, refunds will only be granted when the International Antarctic Centre receives notification at least 24 hours prior to date of visit.
Reviews for International Antarctic Centre Pass
Get Instant Confirmation