- Get up to $90 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 7-day world-class heli-skiing, mountain riding adventure in New Zealand's South Island
- 3 full days of heli-skiing, landing above the ‘freezing line’ for the best snow
- 3 days taking on the ski fields & backcountry of Treble Cone or Cardrona, Ohau, & Mt Hutt
- 6 nights 3-star hotel accommodation, in a twin-share room
- 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches, & 2 dinners
- Services of an expert tour manager
- Transport onboard a 12 seater 4WD late model Toyota HiAce, with a trailer for all your gear
- Departs from the meeting point at Bealey Suites, 263 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch (meeting location may change, please check your final documents for the confirmed location)
Ultimate Heli-Ski TourLand among the mountaintops for unrivalled access to backcountry terrain & superior snow on this thrilling 7-day heli-skiing/boarding adventure.
- Equipment hire
- Clothing hire
- Mt Hutt heli upgrade
- Optional activities
- Some meals
What to Expect
Live the dream and take a heli-skiing or heli-snowboarding adventure holiday across New Zealand’s South Island! This epic seven-day heli tour gives you access to vast areas of backcountry terrain with the superior snow conditions that only higher elevations provide.
First tracks and quality powder turns without the queues are a definite reality on this tour. On the three heli days, you'll get you up to the high alpine terrain heli-skiing Wanaka, Arrowsmiths, and Mt Cook. You'll be landing above the ‘freezing line’, so the snow will be amazing! With over 200 named heli runs across the three mountain ranges, there’s plenty of terrain to suit your skiing/boarding ability.
Off the mountains, you'll stay in 3-star accommodation at various South Island locations, giving you the chance to soak in the local hottubs, dine out, eat-in, or just relax with a wine or craft beer reflecting on the moments of awesomeness you’ve experienced on tour.
Day 1 – Christchurch to Methven | Arrowsmith / Ragged Ranges / Palmer Ranges
Your tour starts bright and early with a 6:00 am departure from your Christchurch accommodation. Before departure, you’ll feul up with a fully cooked breakfast to get your body amped for a fantastic day of heli-skiing/boarding.
With just under a 1 hr 30 min drive to the helipad, your tour guide will make a scheduled stop at the rental store to collect any equipment you require. Today you will heli-ski and board a vast mountainous area spanning three ranges – The Arrowsmith, Ragged and Palmer Ranges.
Charge up your cameras because this is footage you’ll brag to your mates about. Your heli guides know all the sweet spots, with over 200 named heli runs across the three mountain ranges, so there is plenty of terrain to suit your skiing/boarding ability.
Tonight you will stay at MethvenResort, where you can take in the starry night sky while soaking in the hotel's sought after hot pools.
Day 2 – Methven to Mount Cook | Mount Hutt
Today you rest your heli legs and venture up Mt Hutt. Located in the Southern Alps, Canterbury’s Mt Hutt Ski Area receives some of Australasia's lightest and driest powder. Mt Hutt caters for everyone, with excellent terrain covering 365 skiable hectares, fast access on the six-seater chairlift, and some light traversing to get to the black diamond runs.
For those seeking adrenalin-inducing goodness, Towers, South Face, and Montesumas will deliver. With views reaching out across the quilted landscape to the ocean or back out across the Southern Alps, photo backdrops are abundant.
If the heli bug has taken a bite out of you, there’s a heli-upgrade option for you, which you can book through your Tour Guide the night before or this morning (weather and availability dependent).
In the evening, you'll drive to Aoraki Mt Cook Village so you can rise early for your day three adventures.
Day 3 – Mt Cook
Waking up in the shadow of the most prominent mountain in New Zealand, your day of heli riding will be one for the brag book.
Today you’re spoilt for choice. Mount Cook's heliski region is the largest heliski area in New Zealand, operating among the highest peaks in Aoraki Mount Cook National Park and covering six mountain ranges across to the Ben Ohaus, that tower above the shores of azure Lake Pukaki. Mount Cook heli has the highestlandings, longest runs, greatest snow accumulation and most consistent conditions of any backcountry area in New Zealand. No matter your experience, there will be terrain to suit your ability, from mellow open powder bowls to challenging descents – today will not disappoint.
As the sun sets over Aoraki Mt Cook, you can relax and talk about today’s adventures over dinner at the Mt Cook Lodge restaurant.
Day 4 – Mt Cook to Wanaka | Ohau
On day four, you can kick back and be driven through the scenic views that this part of New Zealand offers. Then, if the snow gods have blessed the mountains with a fresh dose of powder, you'll stop at Ohau snowfields for a half-day of skiing.
Ohau is the hidden gem of the Southern Alps. With no crowds, it can feel like you have the mountain to yourself. There are some groomed runs, but most of the runs are off-piste. Those who are keen to earn their turns can hike up to the ‘Ridge Run’ for some unforgettable views and riding.
After riding at Ohau, you'll drive through to Wanaka to stay the night, ready for another fantastic day of heli-skiing.
Day 5 – Wanaka
Today is going to be another amazing day of heli-skiing/boarding! Heading into the mountainous areas around Wanaka and the surrounding lakes, you have access to over 8,500 square metres of terrain spreading across 11 different mountain ranges – this is over 3000 times the size of Coronet Peak! You have hit the money load of run choices. With your legs and bodies now conditioned to riding virgin snow, your experienced heli guides will be taking you to some of their favourite spots.
After a full day of adventure, the group will mix it up with dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Wanaka. What better way to unwind from a day of epic heli-skiing than with a margarita or two and great banter.
Day 6 – Wanaka to Queenstown | Treble Cone
Visit Treble Cone, which lies within the heart of the Southern Alps, with astounding views across majestic Lake Wanaka. It's also the largest ski area in the South Island and is renowned for its terrain and dry powder. Because of its proximity to the Southern Alps, it has reliable weather and snow conditions, and it is protected from the bitterly cold southerly winds. In addition, Treble Cone accesses some of New Zealand’s best backcountry terrain.
Today you will be joining professional guides for an incredible day of backcountry skiing/snowboarding beyond the boundaries of Treble Cone ski area. You can reflect on your unforgettable day of back county touring as you travel over to Queenstown for the last night of the tour.
Day 7 – Queenstown
Spend the last day of the tour in Queenstown – the adventure capital of the world. The only problem you’ll have today is deciding what to do first, with a range of optional activities available.
You can add another day of heli-skiing to your adventure or make a dent in your bucket list with skydiving, bungy jumping,jetboating, skiing Coronet Peak or The Remarkables – the list is long, and the choice is yours!
Where we Visit:
- Arrowsmith, Ragged Ranges, & Palmer Ranges
- Mount Cook
- Mount Hutt
- Treble Cone
Frequently Asked Questions
The Operator normally uses a 12 seater 4WD late model Toyota HiAce, with a trailer for all your gear. As they only fill the bus to a maximum of 8 people, there are always some extra seats to lounge about!
In each of the 3 locations you heli, the crew have structured the tour route to ensure you have two days available, so if there is bad weather on the first day, you can heli on the 2nd day. Furthermore, they make amendments to the tour route on the rare occasions that any mountains are shut or have very poor conditions – going to a different mountain or heli-provider if possible. If not, they will refund the wholesale rate for your heli day.
No, this tour is suitable for intermediate to experienced skiers and boarders only. You do not need to have any experience heli-skiing before but the Operator does ask that you are a confident skier or boarder who can ski black and double black runs.
If you choose to ski, your skis, boots and poles will be included. If you choose to snowboard, your board and boots will be included. If you would like to add on clothing hire as well, you can do this for an additional cost.
Skis are from 4FRNT, Atomic and Salomon. Boards are from Burton and Academy. Poles are from Scott. Clothing is from Aggression and ski boots are from Nordica.
Equipment will be hired on the morning of day one and you will have the same gear for the duration of the tour which means you can get used to it and hence progress much quicker. Your gear will be matched to suit your ability and experience.
Pants, jacket and goggles which you keep for the week.
- The minimum age is 18 years
- The Operator requires a minimum number of bookings in order for a tour to be financially viable & to have a pleasant group atmosphere
- Itineraries are subject to alteration without notice & are intended as a guide only. The Operator reserves the right to change the itinerary without any notice
- On tours including activities such as snowboarding, skiing, trekking, swimming & snorkelling, passengers accept that degrees of risk are involved
- Some activities are strenuous in nature. Passengers should be of reasonable health and fitness and carry all required medication. The Operator must be advised of any prior medical conditions at the time of booking
- Travellers are required to produce proof of COVID-19 vaccination on all of the trips
- If for any reason you do need to cancel your tour there are a few things to be aware of. Your $99 is a non-refundable deposit, however, in the event that you need to cancel outside of the cancellation period The Operator will hold your deposit on file for life & this can be used towards a future departure
- Upon cancellation, you will be liable to pay a fee to cover the cost of expenses incurred by The Operator at the time of booking in the below schedule. Tour Cost is inclusive of any additional activities and pre/post accommodation
- Outside 45 days Notice – Loss of $99NZD
- 8–44 days Notice – 50% of tour cost
- Within 7 Days Notice – 100% of tour cost
- Changes to activities & additional accommodation are not permitted within 45 days of departure to tour
- If you need to change to an alternative departure date you may do so in accordance with the below fees:
- Outside 45 days Notice – No fee
- 8–44 days Notice – $500 Admin Fee
- Within 7 Days Notice – 100% of tour cost
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely