- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- 3 hr fishing charter on the calm waters of Lake Mapourika, to catch trout or salmon (depending on the season)
- Use of all fishing equipment & the chance to keep all your legal & in-season catches
- Friendly & knowledgeable skipper who'll provide fishing tips & fascinating insights into this beautiful region
- Convenient return transfers from Franz Josef, if required
Where we Visit:
- Lake Mapourika
- Fishing licences, which can be purchased from the New Zealand Fish and Game website
- BYO drinks & food
What to Expect
Whether you've been salmon and trout fishing for years, or you just want to dip your toe in the water, experience some of the best freshwater fishing on the West Coast with a local Franz Josef fishing guide. Set amongst a breathtaking landscape and led by your knowledgeable Skipper, every Franz Josef Glacier fishing tour is an opportunity to experience something truly unique.
Lake Mapourika's calm, reflective waters hold many Brown Trout and wild Salmon, with the salmon season running from October to March and trout fishing available year-round. Fishing techniques include trolling, harling and spinning. You may keep your catch if it's legal and in season; otherwise, it's catch-and-release.
Sit back and unwind while trolling silently past 900-year-old Kahikatea trees and listening to native birdsong while you wait for a nibble on the line! Between bites, experience the beauty of the lake, with panoramic views of the Southern Alps, glaciers, and untouched rainforest reflected on the glassy waters.
The Hannah-k can seat a large group comfortably inside the cabin area and can fit four fishermen out on the back deck. The Skipper will provide onboard commentary and fishing expertise throughout the trip.
The boat also has a BYO license for a few cheeky fishing beers, and they also provide hot refreshments along the way. Plus, for non-fishers, the scenery and commentary will have everyone engaged and having fun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit Fish & Game NZ to purchase licenses and/or to check current rates. You can purchase 24-hour licenses. We can process these licenses for you in the office prior to your trip upon request.
Fishing is an excellent wet weather day activity! The Hanna-k is fully covered, to keep you warm and dry throughout the entire activity. The fishing can be excellent on cloudy and drizzly days. If you’re concerned about your clothing, we also have wet weather gear available upon request.
Reviews for Franz Josef Fishing Charter
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- Tours require minimum numbers to operate
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel tours if minimum numbers are not met or in the event of adverse weather conditions
- The Operator assumes no responsibility for injuries, delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather conditions and other conditions beyond their control
- The Operator is not responsible for any loss or damage to property
- Fishing Licenses must be purchased additionally if you do not already hold a freshwater license. 24 Hour day licenses are available from the Fish & Game Website and must be presented upon arrival
- Cancellations/date changes must be made a full 24 hours prior to the trip time
- Cancellations made within the 24 hour time frame cannot be refunded
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation