- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- 2 hr scenic cruise on the reflective waters of Lake Mapourika, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains & glaciers
- Warm tea or coffee onboard to keep you warm, even in winter
- Friendly & knowledgeable skipper who'll provide fascinating insights into this beautiful region
- Convenient return transfers from Franz Josef, if required
Where we Visit:
- Lake Mapourika
- Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary
What to Expect
Join this 2 hr scenic cruise of Lake Mapourika to take in the amazing views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers as well as some of Westland's oldest untouched rainforest, and native birdlife.
Lake Mapourika is the largest lake in Westland Tai Poutini National Park, and skipper Dale has been cruising these waters for years. He’ll take you on a scenic journey, through the Okatarito Kiwi Sanctuary (home to New Zealand's rarest kiwi bird) & much more, with expert commentary along the way. Learn about the unique environment that gives the region its World Heritage Status.
The tour follows in the footsteps of the first pioneers to visit the glacier region in the early 1900s. Tourists were transported by horse-drawn carriage to the lake, for wooden boat tours across the stunning venue.
There are no wooden boats now though. The Hannah-K is purpose-built for the West Coast with a covered cabin area as well as outdoor viewing platforms that allow you to get up close with some of Westland's native birdlife and lush ancient rainforest. Enjoy a warm cup of tea or coffee on board, or you can even BYO wine and beer on the evening departure.
Sit in silence, and listen to the Native Birds, and enjoy the unbeatable scenery in its pristine state!
Frequently Asked Questions
The Hanna-k is fully covered to keep you warm and dry in all weather conditions. You can even sit on the back viewing deck while remaining dry!
Lake Mapourika holds equally beautiful qualities in the rain as it does on a bluebird day. On a drizzly day enjoy dramatic clouds sweeping over the Alps and a beautiful lush misty rainforest surrounding the lake. In the rain, this is a true west coast experience! We provide wet weather equipment for any walking tours during wet weather.
- Sunglasses or a cap
- Any food or drink (optional BYO wine or beer for evening cruises)
Reviews for Lake Mapourika Scenic Cruise
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- Tours require minimum numbers to operate
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel tours if minimum numbers are not met or in the event of adverse weather conditions
- The Operator assumes no responsibility for injuries, delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather conditions and other conditions beyond their control
- The Operator is not responsible for any loss or damage to property
- Cancellations/date changes must be made a full 24 hours prior to the trip time
- Cancellations made within the 24 hour time frame cannot be refunded
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation