- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us!
- Enjoy a 45-minute soak in your own cedar hot tub!
- Complimentary tub-side drinking water
- Soak in heated fresh spring water
- Available for a daytime or nighttime soak
- Lockers and changing room facilities available
- Available for an additional cost at the location:
- Craft beer, cider, and wines
- Specialty sodas and non-alcoholic beverages
- Freshly roasted coffee and teas
- Bakery food
- Snacks and ice cream
- Swimwear and towel hire
What to Expect
Enjoy a natural hot tub experience that complements the forest setting of the Waipa Valley. During the day, soak in secluded cedar tubs surrounded by birdsong. By night, the feature lighting of the tree ferns and boardwalks provide a relaxing setting to finish the days’ adventures.
This tour keeps things simple – you book an hour of secluded hot tub time (45 minutes of soak time and 15 minutes for getting in and out). You get your own tub for your party with no interruptions or rowdy swimmers. There are 12 tubs that are set outside amongst the tree ferns with optional umbrellas over the tub to shade you from the sun or rain. At night, you can soak in a magical setting of lanterns amongst the beautifully lit surrounding native bush.
The facilities have complimentary lockers to secure your gear. Mountain bikers are welcome to bring in the bikes. After showering and changing in brand-new cedar facilities, head down the boardwalk through the ferns to your secluded hot tub next to the Puarenga stream. Relax, share the stories from your day’s adventures, and connect with nature.
A beautiful hidden spring high in the Whakarewarewa Forest supplies fresh spring water to the tubs. The water has a wonderful mineral balance, with neutral pH that's perfect for tired bodies to soak in. To keep it pure and natural, the location uses electronic oxidising, silver and copper ionising, and ultrasonic processes (Enviroswim technology) to ensure purity and safety, rather than a chemical-based approach. This meets the New Zealand Standard for Pool Water Quality and means that there is no skin or eye irritation typical of a chlorine-based system.
As an added bonus, because the water is not geothermal, you'll emerge from your soak fresh – no sulphur smell on your swimwear or skin! Each tub is filled with fresh water when you arrive, and freshly filtered water is continually replenishing your tub during your soak. Water temperature is set according to the day, usually, the tubs bubble at a nice 38 to 40C, or a bit cooler on hot days.
This secret hot tub location is a stone’s throw from Rotorua, hidden away in the Waipa Valley, in the heart of New Zealand’s mountain biking mecca. If you are local or a visitor to this patch of paradise, discover your own secret spot here after your day’s adventures. The western red cedar hot tubs are handcrafted and have a lovely woody smell that naturally infuses the waters with cedar oil. The 6-foot wide tubs can fit your mates and family easily as there are twelve lovely hot tubs to accommodate any sized group.
For those of you who don’t feel like a full-on hot tub soak, grab a fresh-brewed coffee or beverage and have a complimentary “a shinny dip” – sit back and soak those tired legs in mini cedar hot tubs on the boardwalk. After your soak, lounge a little longer on the veranda and boardwalk area where you can enjoy a bite to eat, an ice cream, or a post-soak beverage. The Secret Hot Tub site is open from 9am to 10pm in the Waipa Valley, Rotorua.
It’s important to book ahead so there will be a hot tub reserved with your name on it. Book before your mountain bike ride or walk in the Whakarewarewa Forest, and then you can slip into the hot tub when you come back to the carpark. Towels and swimwear are available for hire ($5) in case of a spur-of-the-moment decision to have a hot soak.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hot tubs are booked for a 45-minute soak time, starting on the hour or on every quarter-hour.
Children under 15 years old must be accompanied by a paying adult.
Alcohol, food, and drink may not be bought onto the premises.
The last soak session starts at 9pm each night.
A beautiful hidden spring high in the Whakarewarewa Forest supplies fresh spring water to the tubs.
- No refunds within 24 hours of departure unless the activity operator cancels the activity due to waterway, road or weather conditions.
- Our hot-tubbing hours are from 9am to 10pm every day (we may be open longer for major night events held in the Waipa Valley). Last soak session starts at 9.00pm each night.
- Hot tubs are booked for a 45-minute soak time, starting on the hour or on every quarter-hour. Patrons are asked to arrive at least 15 minutes before their scheduled booking time to allow time to shower and change into swimwear.
- No more than 6 people per tub.
- Children under 15 years old must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- No Children under 5 years old are permitted in the hot tubs or shinny dip.
- Any health conditions which may be affected by heat must be disclosed to staff before entering the hot tubs.
- The location retains the right to remove disruptive patrons.
- Patrons are required to exit the hot tubs after 45 minutes (full-time will be automatically signalled with a light).
- Only one group per hot tub (we will not mix up unrelated groups).
- Patrons must stay on the boardwalks at all times.
- Alcohol, food and drink may not be brought onto the premises.
- It is a non-smoking facility.
- The location is a licensed premise and operates according to the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
- Bookings can be rescheduled up to 4 hours before your reservation but cancellation requires 12 hours ‘notice.
- The Operator reserves all rights to cancel any Activity at its discretion for (but not limited to) any of the following reasons: a) waterway, road or weather conditions; b) lack of numbers participating in the Activity; c) unsuitability of Guest(s) due to reasons such as age, ill health, poor fitness, intoxication or any other reasons rendering a Guest unsuitable or unfit to participate in the Activity; d) any other circumstances which are beyond the reasonable control of the Operator. All Guests agree to adhere to any instructions in relation to the Activity from the Operator at all time.
Reviews for Secret Spot Hot Tub Soak – 45 minutes
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation