- Guided cave exploration
- Small group size (maximum 14 per guide)
- Chance to see glowworms up-close
- Optional short guided forest experience to learn about the unique flora of the region
- Cruise across Lake Te Anau
- Guided tour of the caves by path and by small boat
- Unlimited hot drinks
Te Anau Glowworm Caves
Explore the underground world of the South Island and spot luminescent glowworms
WHAT TO EXPECT
The glowworm caves in Te Anau are one of the area's most popular attractions. A visit to these caves will allow you to see luminescent glowworms up-close, which is a spectacular sight. They light up the dark caves that make up this region of New Zealand's South Island.
This tour begins with a cruise across Lake Te Anau on a purpose-built scenic cruise vessel. Then, you will be lead through the caves with a local guide by your side who will tell you all about the area's history and current state. That being said, the guide will not need to point out the glowworms, as they speak for themselves given their bright and glittering appearance. They are truly an amazing thing to witness.
You will also get to discover the intricate limestone pathways that were formed inside of the caves. These paths were formed by a river that once passed through the location. You will pass whirlpools and a roaring underground waterfall as you make your way through the caves.
Your tour will last approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes. It departs Te Anau daily at 10:15 am, 2 pm, 7 pm or 8:15 pm.
Warm clothes and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
Te Anau Glowworm Caves
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
What's the best time of day to visit?
It’s always dark inside the caves, so you’ll be able to see the glowworms on any departure. Daylight hours do vary significantly in NZ so for evening tours it may be dark for the cruise across Lake Te Anau to reach the caves, or on your return. Just choose a departure which fits best with your itinerary.
What are conditions like in the caves?
Inside the caves the temperature is a fairly constant 8 - 12ºCelsius, so bring a warm sweater/fleece jacket.
At the entrance to the caves there is a large rock overhang and bending is required to pass this section.
There are steps and often the walkways are wet, so care is required in the subdued light.
- The supplier reserves the right to amend timetables, cancel departures, substitute plant and equipment, amend specials or offers and alter ticket prices at any time.
- In the event of a cancellation or amendment to your booking, refunds will only be granted when the supplier receives notification at least 24 hours prior to departure date.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions
- Real Journeys Visitor Centre Tu Anau
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews