- Get up to $30 cash back per person when you book with us
- 1 hour balloon flight over Ipswich, the Scenic Rim and Somerset regions
- Delicious restaurant breakfast after the flight
- In-flight photography
- Personalised in-flight commentary
- A personalised commemorative flight certificate
What to Expect
The magic and romance of flying in a hot air balloon can be easily experienced with this stunning early-morning flight.
From the air, you will soak in a bird’s eye views of Greater Brisbane, including Ipswich, with its cute Queenslander homes and historic civic buildings. However, the city quickly melts away to be replaced by a patchwork field of farmland, wineries and homesteads, plus rich outback areas with acres of cattle, lakes and dams. All of this is set against the spectacular backdrop of the Great Dividing Range mountains.
Your bird’s-eye view of the landscape grants you breathtaking vistas of the Greater Brisbane region including Flinders Peak, Mt. Walker, McPherson ranges and Mt. Tamborine. Keep looking and you’ll see Moreton Bay, the skyline of Brisbane, Mount Coot-tha, the D’Aguilar Range, Wivenhoe Dam, the Brisbane, Fassifern and Lockyer valleys and the Brisbane and Bremer Rivers.
This is the closest hot air balloon company to Brisbane and the longest founding owner-operated in the South East Queensland region. Every flight is taken by the owner and chief pilot Graeme Day, who has nearly 30 years of ballooning experience and loves to share his passion for ballooning. Graeme’s deep knowledge of the local region, humour and storytelling make his in-flight commentary both informative and entertaining.
After your flight, it's time to indulge in a delicious breakfast at Fourthchild Cafe Restaurant, who serve up Campos coffee for your wake-up caffeine hit.
Address: Ipswich Visitor Information Centre, Queens Park, 14 Queen Victoria Parade, Ipswich, Queensland
The meeting point is an easy 30-minute drive from Brisbane, and can also be reached by train or bus.
Estimated meeting times
Nov/Dec: Between 4am and 4:15am
Jan/Feb: Between 4:15am and 4:45am
Mar/Apr: Between 4:45am and 5:15am
May/Jun: Between 5:30am and 6am
Jul/Aug: Between 5:15am and 5:30am
Sep/Oct: Between 4:30am and 5am
Frequently Asked Questions
Children aged 6-12 are welcome as long as an adult accompanies them. For safety reasons, the child must be tall enough to see over the edge of the basket (1.2m high) unaided by any person or objects.
The geography and climate of the Ipswich, Scenic Rim and Somerset regions are ideal for ballooning, plus they provide fantastic and glorious views of this diverse area.
This tour always meets 40 minutes before sunrise. When your booking date is confirmed, The Supplier will give you a precise time with your flight confirmation details.
You can expect to be on the tour for 4-5 hours. The complete balloon program includes the passenger meet and greets, balloon inflation, flight, landing, deflation, return transportation and restaurant breakfast.
You'll float through the air for about an hour – the longest flight time for a balloon in the South East Queensland region!
The early mornings can start cool and warm up quickly – so we recommend wearing comfortable layers. It’s dark when we set off, so don’t forget sunglasses and a hat, plus wear sturdy and enclosed shoes suitable for morning dew or long grass (no sandals, open-toe shoes or high heels permitted). White clothing is not recommended – it gets dirty! Dress as though you are going for a morning bushwalk. Most importantly, don’t forget to charge and bring your camera!
The pilot chooses the take-off site according to the direction and speed of the wind that morning. Safety is always our priority. Our closest take-off site is a 3-minute drive from our meeting point, and the furthest is about 20 minutes away.
Like baking the perfect croissant, flying a hot air balloon calls for certain conditions. There needs to be some wind to fly the balloon, but the tour can’t fly if there is too much wind. Balloons need cool, stable, gentle winds to operate most effectively and we fly early in the morning as the winds are at their calmest. The morning air is tranquil, and a lower ambient temperature means that it is easier to get the balloon off the ground. We also don’t need to heat it to such a high temperature, which means we use less gas and can fly longer. The spectacular South East Queensland sunrise is just a bonus, really.
We have baskets for 4-6 or 10 passengers. The basket we fly depends on passenger numbers that day.
No, all passengers are required to stand or lean for the duration of the flight. As the flight lasts about one hour, passengers must be able to stand unaided for the duration of the flight. To clarify, no additional aids such as seats, walkers, sticks or crutches are permitted in the basket. If in doubt, a friend or relative must accompany the passenger to assist them.
It usually takes the pilot and crew about 20-30 minutes to get a standard tear-shape balloon ready for flight. Passenger participation and assistance is always welcomed and can help us get in the air faster! You can help unload the wicker basket and balloon envelope from the trailer, assist in the unpacking of the envelope from the bag, lay the balloon out, and hold the mouth of the envelope whilst the fans inflate it. Larger and special-shaped balloons can take up to an hour to ready for flight.
You must be very high before the air becomes cold – where we fly it is no colder than it is on the ground. In fact, standing under the very powerful balloon burners is like being next to a giant campfire and can be quite toasty and warm in the basket. Hot air balloons fly with the wind, so there is no wind chill factor either.
On an average flight, we go from treetop level up to 1000 – 3000 feet. The advantage of flying a balloon, as opposed to other types of aircraft, is its diverse ability to skim over rivers, brush over treetops and reach more than 1000 feet while providing those panoramic landscape views! How high we fly depends on the wind patterns of the day. At different heights, there are different wind layers, and these layers have different speeds and directions.
Flying in a high-sided balloon basket is not like standing on the balcony of a high rise. In a balloon you don’t get that vertigo feeling – it is more as if the landscape is unfolding beneath you. The basket does not rock or sway because we move with the wind.
- Under no circumstances will the operator be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or incidental damages including but not limited to lost or damaged property, lost profits or savings or damages for disappointment
- Hot air ballooning relies on suitable weather conditions in order to proceed safely and the operator reserves the right to cancel a flight at any time up to the moment of launch
- The Operator requires each passenger to sign a standard ‘Registration, Medical Check & Assumption of Risk’ before the flight
- The operator will require, for flight manifest purposes all passengers’ names and estimated weights (in kilograms). Passengers weighing 115 kg or over attracts a 50% surcharge. Due to safety factors, passengers over 130kg cannot participate in hot air ballooning
- The minimum age is 6, however, all children ages 6-12 must be at least 1.2 metres tall and accompanied by a paying adult
- All flights commence 40 minutes prior to sunrise on any given flight day
For cancellations and changes, the following policy and fees apply:
- Changes to bookings within 8 and 14 days of the original flight booking date will incur a $25 per person cancellation/ rebooking fee
- Changes within 72 hours (3 days) and 7 days a $50 per person cancellation/ booking fee
- Changes within 72 hours prior to the flight date will forfeit the full fare per person
- Flights will not be rescheduled within 72 hours of your booking date
Reviews for Greater Brisbane Hot Air Balloon Flight Package
Get Instant Confirmation